Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riven2000

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2012
I'm just curious about a Mojave install method that worked for me yesterday - has anyone else done an alternate clean install where you have a reformatted target drive, High Sierra on another, and the Mojave installer on yet another? I tried using a USB stick but it kept saying I didn't have a metal-compatible GPU (I do) and that Filevault was turned on (it isn't). I thought I would have to do an upgrade, so I started up from the High Sierra drive, opened the Mojave installer from the other drive - and it allowed me to do a clean install to the new System drive. Just wondered if this is a known workaround as I've never seen it mentioned before.

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
I'm just curious about a Mojave install method that worked for me yesterday - has anyone else done an alternate clean install where you have a reformatted target drive, High Sierra on another, and the Mojave installer on yet another? I tried using a USB stick but it kept saying I didn't have a metal-compatible GPU (I do) and that Filevault was turned on (it isn't). I thought I would have to do an upgrade, so I started up from the High Sierra drive, opened the Mojave installer from the other drive - and it allowed me to do a clean install to the new System drive. Just wondered if this is a known workaround as I've never seen it mentioned before.
This is a known bug for a Mac Pro 5,1 (or 4,1>5,1) with a Kepler family Nvidia GPU (e.g. GTX680/780 etc) installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.