Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donawalt

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Hi all, I am in the market for a new car this year and I am looking forward to getting one (Toyota) with CarPlay! Here is my question - from what I know, the screen in the car looks like your Home Page on your iPhone (assume that is what you connect). But - the things I have on my Home screen/iPhone are different than what I might want on my Home screen/car! For example, I have email on my iPhone home screen, that's not a priority on my car screen - on my car home screen, I want my podcast app, various apps that play music or other audio - to me, the Home screen on CarPlay should be customizable and different than is what is on my phone. Is this how it works? If not, what I discuss must be a common issue, how do others handle it? Thanks!

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
First... not all apps will even show on your car play screen. There is no mail app on a cars screen. Don’t worry podcast and anything navigation and most music ones do as well. Phone and text too of course but you won’t ever be able to read texts on the screen.

Second... on your phone.... settings... general.... CarPlay.

That’s where you adjust what is on screen and what order and placement they take on the cars screen. Also note that if you connect your phone to more than one car each car is listed separately and therefore customizable separately as well.

Reactions: donawalt

donawalt

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Awesome! That's what I was hoping, thanks. One last question- thru Bluetooth on my current car it reads text messages when they arrive, thru the speaker. Does that work too?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
As @inkahauts said, not every app is available in CarPlay. Apple includes Messages, Phone, Calendar and Settings ... additionally, most podcast and music apps are available as are most navigation apps (Apple Maps, Google Maps and Waze).

Personally I'd love to see a weather applet for the Dashboard view, as well... but Apple dictates what works and what doesn't.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Awesome! That's what I was hoping, thanks. One last question- thru Bluetooth on my current car it reads text messages when they arrive, thru the speaker. Does that work too?
When you go to the messages app within CarPlay and you have a new message, Siri will read it to you and ask if you want to reply. You can also just ask Siri to read your last message, any unread messages or messages from a contact you specify. It initially shows as a pop up notification at the bottom of the Carplay screen that you have a new message and who it’s from.

Reactions: donawalt
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.