Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Borracho400

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2007
Hi everyone! I have one of the earlier MBP, 1.83 Core Duo. I upgraded my ram from 512 to 2 gb some time ago, but now I am running out of Hard Drive space. My hard drive is 75 gb and I have about 16 left. I heard that filling up your hard drive entirely is not a very good thing to do. I was wondering if it would be better to get an external hard drive where I can put my music on, or if there is a way to take my laptop to an apple store and have them install an internal hard drive. Also if you guys could maybe give me some good pointers for a good external or internal one, that would be great. Thank you!

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Since yours is such an early model, your AppleCare is up at this point, unless you got the 3 year warranty extension. Plus, from what I have read, items like the hard drive, even if not easy for the user to access in this case, can not void the warranty if user replaced.

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
it depends on your needs... the capacities of external HDs are much higher than laptop HDs, and they're much cheaper, but with an external, you need to have it on you to access the data on it. Personally, I prefer a large internal drive because I rarely use my computer in 1 spot.

Borracho400

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2007
Yes my plan already ran out a long long time ago, and I usually don't take my laptop to a lot of places. What I was wondering about though, if I do get an external hard drive, and I put all my music on there, can I still listen to it trough iTunes? how does that work?

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Yes my plan already ran out a long long time ago, and I usually don't take my laptop to a lot of places. What I was wondering about though, if I do get an external hard drive, and I put all my music on there, can I still listen to it trough iTunes? how does that work?

Oh that's easy. You transfer your music to teh external, then just tell iTunes that that is where the library is. You might have to delete all the entries in the library (not the files, just the entries) and then re-import, but it will work just fine off the external.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.