Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which is the best photo storage service? iCloud, Amazon Photos/Google Photos?

• Amazon Prime Photo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Google Photos

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hassiman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
San Diego
I am trying to figure out what the best digital image storage is for me. I generally have just used iCloud to store images taken with my iPhone. The only downside for me here is that I am under the impression that any photos deleted from my iPhone will also be deleted from iCloud.... Is This true? If so, is there any way d to delete images from my phone while still keeping them on iCloud?

As far as Amazon Prime Photo and Google Photos are concerned which is the better storage system? I believe that Amazon will store an unlimited number of still images RAW and other formats but Video storage is free only up to a certain limit.

I believe that Google Photos has a better more advanced photo sorting and search algorithms but if you want to store files over 15 GBs you must also pay extra... As my NEF files are around 50GBs this is also a concern.

Which system do you use and why?

Thanks

Dazed and confused.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I store my image files on external drives, and have them both at home and stored off-site in my bank safe deposit box. In addition I have an account at Zenfolio.com, where I have set up galleries of specific topics, and I use this as a means of sharing images with family and friends when I have a group of photos from, say, a special occasion or get-together rather than just one or two to share.

OldMacs4Me

macrumors 68020
May 4, 2018
Wild Rose And Wind Belt
Syncing can always be a problem. A bigger concern to me is having my images at the mercy of someone else. I use 'cloud storage' only for sharing, and I access only via web-browser so no syncing is ever involved. External and secondary internal computer drives for back-up.

Perhaps a bit clunky but that way I am under no illusion that an image is automatically backed up.

SjoukeW

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2020
Netherlands
If you go to settings photos the hit optimize iPhone storage then only thumbnails are stored on your phone and the real photo is on the iCloud. In this way you don’t need to have an incredible large phone storage.
As soon as you look at a photo on the iCloud it is downloaded so you can view it.

The goal of Apple was that you don’t notice that files are not on your phone but in the cloud.
If you delete then they are deleted everywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.