Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
I'm considering applying for the Apple Card, and put all my future purchases on it to earn cash back with Apple, as well as taking advantage of the 24 month interest free financing on iPhones. When you have an interest free balance, and then make regular purchases on top of it, does your payment pay off the balance on the regular purchases first?

I never carry balances that have an interest charge. Years ago I had a credit card and tried to take advantage of their interest free financing. I was surprised to learned that payments went towards the interest free promotional balances first. IIRC it was a circuit city Visa card issued by Chase. I still do have that card when they converted it to a Freedom card, as well my Prime card all through Chase. Since then I have not made any promotional purchases on either card. Store Visa cards issued by Citibank works the other way around - payments go to regular purchases first, so I can keep their money on the interest free balance until the last month of the offer. Love keeping the bank's money for free :D

BTW, when taking advantage of interest free financing on the Apple Card, does it still earn 3% cash back? I went on chat with Apple and the agent said it does. I know with some cards it is one or the other.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
When you have an interest free balance, and then make regular purchases on top of it, does your payment pay off the balance on the regular purchases first?
Yes. Your monthly statement balance only includes that month's installment.

BTW, when taking advantage of interest free financing on the Apple Card, does it still earn 3% cash back?
Yes.

Reactions: iosuser

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
I applied for the card and ordered a 15 Pro, all done on my phone within 5 minutes. The 3% cashback on the sales tax portion is already available for redemption, all $1.70 lol. Regardingless of the amount instant cashback is very cool. I'm assuming the rest will post after I pickup the phone tomorrow.

Here's a bit of a mystery. My order confirmation email went to the email account I switched away from many years ago, as was the phone number associated with the order. I've looked everywhere within iCloud and id.apple.com and that email address does not exist anywhere. I am able to locate the outdated phone number from within the Apple Store app on my phone, and below the outdated phone number it shows email as blank and optional. I have never used Goldman Sachs before so that can be ruled out as far as being the source for outdated email and phone number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.