Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rory76

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2017
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this…

My Citi card has extended warranty protection that adds two years of coverage after the manufacturer’s warranty expires. The policy language states “We will extend the manufacturer's warranty for an additional 24 Months. If You purchase an extended warranty, Our coverage begins at the expiration of that warranty….Total coverage up to a maximum of 7 years from the purchase date.”

So wondering if I purchase a new Apple device (with Apple’s one year limited warranty) on this card and add a two year AppleCare+ plan, if that means I’d have a total of 5 years of warranty coverage (1st year being Apple, year 2 and 3 AppleCare+, and years 4 and 5 Citi extended warranty coverage)?

Does this sound right? Thanks in advance for any help!

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
It does sound right! Although contacting CITI to confirm would make sense. (Email or saved online chat so that you'd have a record, proof of what was stated.)

My question has to do with the fine print. They may only cover defective parts, not damage as Apple does, with a deductible.

The credit card extended warranty sometimes don’t cover refurbished items, either. So check that out, too.

By the way, Apple now lets us extend Apple Care ad infinitum. You could buy it with the credit card and, later, decide it's worthwhile extending the Apple Care+ directly from Apple for a mere $79 per year (depends on model).

Rory76

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 24, 2017
It does sound right! Although contacting CITI to confirm would make sense. (Email or saved online chat so that you'd have a record, proof of what was stated.)

My question has to do with the fine print. They may only cover defective parts, not damage as Apple does, with a deductible.

The credit card extended warranty sometimes don’t cover refurbished items, either. So check that out, too.

By the way, Apple now lets us extend Apple Care ad infinitum. You could buy it with the credit card and, later, decide it's worthwhile extending the Apple Care+ directly from Apple for a mere $79 per year (depends on model).
Thanks for your reply. Good suggestion on asking them then saving transcript.

I don’t expect the extended warranty to cover accidental damage, only the things covered under Apple’s one year limited warranty.

One of the Apple devices I’m looking to purchase and get coverage this way is the AirPods Max. I don’t believe you can continue month to month coverage on those once the two year AppleCare+ plan expires, unlike you can with a Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.