Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drewps5co0tt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Hey guys,

I have a few questions about using AirPlay with my iPhone 6 Plus (yes I'm still using an older iPhone) and my iPad Mini 4 (which I just bought last summer), I'll try to keep this post short. Both devices are using the latest version of iOS and my Apple TV (4TH generation) is running the latest version of tvOS.

#1. When using AirPlay to send audio (music) to my Apple TV from either my iPhone or iPad, I'm noticing that when I enable the EQ (equalizer) on either device, while I'm able to make a selection on the device, there is no sound difference/change coming from my TV speakers. I'm going to assume that the EQ is not supported using AirPlay? The EQ on the devices works fine when not using AirPlay.

#2. I've attached an image to this post, if someone can tell me what the icon circled in red is, I would appreciate it. When playing music from either device, when I wake my device, I see the control window for what is currently playing. The icon towards the bottom right is greyed out and I can't figure out what it's for. Any ideas? I can't find anything online that tells me what it is. When I disconnect from AirPlay, it goes away.

Thanks!

IMG_3090.PNG

Last edited:

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
EQ appears to work for me even when using airplay.

The grayed out icon is subtitles I believe

Drewps5co0tt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
EQ appears to work for me even when using airplay.

The grayed out icon is subtitles I believe

Can I ask what devices you are using? Maybe they are newer than mine and that's why they work and mine don't? I don't know, just trying to figure out why.

As far as the icon thing goes, would that be for if I was AirPlaying video then? I guess that's why it's greyed out for music?

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
Can I ask what devices you are using? Maybe they are newer than mine and that's why they work and mine don't? I don't know, just trying to figure out why.

As far as the icon thing goes, would that be for if I was AirPlaying video then? I guess that's why it's greyed out for music?

Using my XS to my Sonos one using airplay 2. Also my sonos connect amp running a airplay server on my iMac (airplay 1). Both work. It takes a second or two before you notice the change as it buffers.

Yeah it’s gray because you are listening to music.

Drewps5co0tt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
OK, I'm just using my iOS device to my Apple TV, no external speakers just using the speakers built into the TV. You're using more stuff than I am and also a newer iPhone than me, that must be why.

I did forget to mention, when I use AirPlay via iTunes from my computer (PC) the EQ built into iTunes works fine, but from the iOS end, it does not.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
OK, I'm just using my iOS device to my Apple TV, no external speakers just using the speakers built into the TV. You're using more stuff than I am and also a newer iPhone than me, that must be why.

I did forget to mention, when I use AirPlay via iTunes from my computer (PC) the EQ built into iTunes works fine, but from the iOS end, it does not.

I think the difference is that the Apple TV has the music app. So when you airplay to it your phone is acting as a remote. The Apple TV is pulling the songs from its app and not your phone. You would have to change the EQ on the Apple TV or the tv. (Apple tv doesn’t have one)

Why it’s working on pc is probably because it’s using airplay 1. So the pc audio is actually passing through.

Drewps5co0tt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
I think the difference is that the Apple TV has the music app. So when you airplay to it your phone is acting as a remote. The Apple TV is pulling the songs from its app and not your phone. You would have to change the EQ on the Apple TV or the tv. (Apple tv doesn’t have one)

Why it’s working on pc is probably because it’s using airplay 1. So the pc audio is actually passing through.

No, it's actually pulling the songs from my phone, not the Apple TV app, if I was using the Apple TV app I wouldn't be using AirPlay to begin with. Songs I've purchased via iTunes I can stream with the music app from the Apple TV weather or not they are on any of my devices or not, music I haven't purchased from iTunes that is on my devices...that is what I'm AirPlaying to the Apple TV from the device.

From what I've read, this doesn't work with the HomePod either, some say it worked before iOS 12, I don't know. I was just messing around with it last night because I wanted to play some music to my TV because I don't have any external speakers in my apartment right now and I wanted some better sound then my laptop and when I went into the EQ on the phone, I noticed no matter what I selected, it wasn't doing anything on Apple TV's end.

I'm guessing because you have Sonos, and you have your audio going to that device, it has hardware in it that works with the EQ from the iOS devices. Maybe it's a case that my TV's audio system is not compatible with the EQ software with the iOS devices, I dunno. We know it works via the PC but not iOS so I'm guessing that's the issue.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
That’s not exactly what I’m saying.

When you airplay to an Apple TV. You select the song on your phone. The Apple TV receives what you want to play and then plays it from the Apple TV (HomePod works the same way) and not directly from the phone (airplay 1 works like this).

I just tried airplay to my 4K Apple TV with Apple Music though and as expected the EQ on my phone did nothing.

I would assume that playing songs that’s not from iTunes or Apple Music will play directly from the phone. Maybe Apple has disabled the EQ entirely when you airplay to a device that has Apple Music built in for consistency in audio levels.

Drewps5co0tt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Yes I understand what you're saying, data goes from device to Apple TV, then the music app on the Apple TV plays your selected song from the device you're sending it from, I got that part. So in other words, it's nothing I'm doing wrong on my end?

You had mentioned earlier that you were able to get the EQ to work from your phone with Apple TV...is that because you were sending your audio from Apple TV to your Sonos and not just using your built in speakers on your 4K TV as your audio source? Or is that because you were not using Apple TV at all and just AirPlaying directly from your iOS device directly to your Sonos?

Thanks again and I'll be sure to thumbs up your post once I get a reply back to confirm.

Thanks!

Last edited:

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
I have not gotten the EQ to work with Apple TV. Only works on my sonos. I don’t have a HomePod but I’m sure it behaves the same way as the Apple TV.

Edit: I think future TVs with airplay support will behave the same way as my sonos. So the EQ should work on them.

Drewps5co0tt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
OK, so you're saying it seems to be a restriction between iOS and the Apple TV device itself? If you're doing it between the iOS device and an external smart speaker, then it works fine? I just want to make sure I'm understanding.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
OK, so you're saying it seems to be a restriction between iOS and the Apple TV device itself? If you're doing it between the iOS device and an external smart speaker, then it works fine? I just want to make sure I'm understanding.

Exactly. It’s not a restriction per se, it just works differently. I’m fine with the way it works. I don’t use the EQ on my phone. I have EQ settings already on my receiver for my Apple TV and my sonos speaker has it’s own EQ as well. I wouldn’t want the EQ from my phone manipulating the sound. But sure in some instances you might want it.

Reactions: Drewps5co0tt

Drewps5co0tt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
OK, I get it now, thanks! Since I don't have any other external speakers or sound system right now, that's why I was using iOS's built in EQ to play around with it. Personally, I don't use it that much either to be honest. I just like to know why things don't work when they work every other way.:)

Reactions: ZEEN0j
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.