Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterTibbs

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2018
UK
Long time lurker here and I have a burning question for iPad illustrators.

Is anyone using a pencil to create vector artwork which creates strokes as opposed to filled lines?
I'm considering getting a 10.5" Pro/2018 iPad and I wanted to know. I've tried Adobe draw and I'm not keen on the filled strokes. Essentially I want something I can create in detail on the iPad and then take it into illustrator to refine and complete. I design tee shirts and I work mostly in vector, I'm sick and tired of being chained to computer.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
Long time lurker here and I have a burning question for iPad illustrators.

Is anyone using a pencil to create vector artwork which creates strokes as opposed to filled lines?
I'm considering getting a 10.5" Pro/2018 iPad and I wanted to know. I've tried Adobe draw and I'm not keen on the filled strokes. Essentially I want something I can create in detail on the iPad and then take it into illustrator to refine and complete. I design tee shirts and I work mostly in vector, I'm sick and tired of being chained to computer.
Autodesk Graphic is the only decent vector graphics tool on the iPad I know of, but I do not know how it works with Illustrator. Also, Affinity Designer for iPad will be released sometime this year.

MisterTibbs

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2018
UK
Autodesk Graphic is the only decent vector graphics tool on the iPad I know of, but I do not know how it works with Illustrator. Also, Affinity Designer for iPad will be released sometime this year.
Thanks for that. I'm tempted to wait until June to see if there's any news on the next generation of pros. Some of the fan-made mockup concepts using the same design language of the X look great.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I’ve moved Graphic Files into Illustrator as SVG without issue. iPad app works similar to the Mac app (which I also use). I haven’t played much yet taking it into Affinity Designer though. My eyes are screwed up and it’s hard to deal with a new app.

Overall, Graphic has been a good app, and Autodesk sold it so it’s actively being developed again.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
You could try Concepts. It uses vectors and layers. It may be more oriented to rough sketches tan the precision drawing you want to do. I’m not at all artistic, but I use it for sketching ideas before implementing them elsewhere. Also nice for note taking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.