Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bearmaster1

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2018
Los Angeles
Hello everyone - I just recently signed up for Apple Music and was thinking of purchasing an Apple TV 4k off the apple refurb site. I plan to plug it into my Yamaha RXV 485 via HDMI. The Yamaha does not support Atmos but I have it connected to 5.1 surround speakers. Does anyone know what format gets sent to my receiver?

I think the Apple TV will send the full Atmos coded signal to my Yamaha, and the receiver will read it as 5.1 track in dolby lossless surround. This would be good and what I am looking for. Alternatively, it is possible that the Apple TV just reverts to stereo output as it detects the receiver cannot decode true atoms. This not what I want.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I think the Apple TV will send the full Atmos coded signal to my Yamaha, and the receiver will read it as 5.1 track in dolby lossless surround.
Apple TV will never
a) send full coded signal
b) in lossless format

It will always send you decoded PCM signal, with or without Atmos.
You can argue, that PCM on HDMI output is a lossless format, but the incoming signal to appleTV is always a lossy one (either DD or DD+), because it is a streaming device.
If your AVR registers as a non-Atmos 5.1 capable, aTV will send it 5.1 multichannel PCM, not 2-channel.
Said 5.1 signal will contain all channels and (in case of Atmos) all objects. Just mixed down into 5.1.

AustinJerry

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2013
Austin, Texas
I can confirm, the signal received from the ATV 4K when playing a spatial audio track shows 7.1 input and 7.1 output on my AVR. I suspect the HDMI handshake tells the ATV what the AVR configuration is (7.1 in my case). It does not down-convert to stereo.

Reactions: bearmaster1

bearmaster1

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2018
Los Angeles
Many thanks for your replies, which confirm the optimal scenario! I'll post back when I get my apple tv, and hook it up.
I was worried that nobody would understand my question. All the dolby formats and apple terminology is confusing.

One day, I will spring for a dolby atmos receiver and install the two height speakers, but probably not soon.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
when you do get it setup, and need to test.

there's an album on Apple Music by "dolby labs" that has some channel ID tracks where a voice says the name of each channel.

also boom by tiesto is pretty fun in atmos. at one point there's a beat that goes in a circle around the entire room.

JeffPerrin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
when you do get it setup, and need to test.

there's an album on Apple Music by "dolby labs" that has some channel ID tracks where a voice says the name of each channel.

If you would like a test with the addition of on-screen visuals, I might offer my Surround Speaker Check app has a two free 5.1 test tracks in Dolby Atmos format.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.