Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Needy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2023
Hi I have very little knowledge about computers .The other day decided to to try and up grade my old 2010 MacBook but made the mistake of trying to load an operating system with out removing the old one first .
Tried every thing from you tube but cannot fix can some one please tell if I open it up and put new hard drive in will that get rid of boot up problem
Thank you

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
Do you know if you can boot up an OS from a USB stick?
I don't know about MacBooks but my 2009 iMac can.

There's lots of Linux systems to try, but I've been using MX-Linux(with
Fluxbox)
It has a good start up menu to fix any probs.
Get an operating system working from a USB stick, then you should be able to install it to the hard drive..and start over with osx if ya want.

Needy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2023
Do you know if you can boot up an OS from a USB stick?
I don't know about MacBooks but my 2009 iMac can.

There's lots of Linux systems to try, but I've been using MX-Linux(with
Fluxbox)
It has a good start up menu to fix any probs.
Get an operating system working from a USB stick, then you should be able to install it to the hard drive..and start over with osx if ya want.
Thank you very much

Needy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2023
I have tried all the option key command R and every thing else all I get is flashing folder if I go A different route I get a spinning globe with no where to type underneath which ends up going yo 2002f or some thing so I thought I good just stick in a new hard drive would that clean it out and I would get up grade at the same time.
Thanks

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
I have tried all the option key command R and every thing else all I get is flashing folder if I go A different route I get a spinning globe with no where to type underneath which ends up going yo 2002f or some thing so I thought I good just stick in a new hard drive would that clean it out and I would get up grade at the same time.
Thanks
thats why I thought a boot up from a usb stick might be a good way to go...bypass the HD altogether. Short mentions an important point for a beginner to know - the option key for usb boot ups.

Needy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2023
Ok my Mac is old like me and does not have USB port it has a display port I will probably by a new model next year but wanted to make this work to impress the wife and maybe myself

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
Ok my Mac is old like me and does not have USB port it has a display port I will probably by a new model next year but wanted to make this work to impress the wife and maybe myself
is yours this 2010 macbook?

MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.4 13-Inch
Gigabit Ethernet, two USB 2.0 ports, a single audio in/out port, and a Mini DisplayPort that passes an audio as well as a video signal and supports an external display at 2560x1600. It does not have a Firewire port or IR to support a remote.

My oldest iMac (5,1) is 2007 and the other is 2009..as for me - Im 71.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Thanks

Installing new hard drive will just get you another flashing folder.
Spinning globe is a good sign that your MacBook still response to the Internet Recovery command.
It will take somewhere from 30min to 1 hour before the spinning globe ends and let you control something. But as your MB is old, the Internet Recovery Function will just lead you to an error notice that it can not find suitable Mac OS file to download.
Better take it to a service shop and ask for help. It's quite complicated.

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
What macOS version stopped working? Have you tried to boot into safe mode by holding shift down when turning on your MacBook? Have you reset NVRAM?
Here’s how to reset the NVRAM on your Intel-powered Mac:
  1. Hold down all of these keys: Command, Option (Alt), P and R, and turn on the Mac (it’s the same keys to reset the PRAM).
  2. Keep holding the keys down until you hear the Mac restart again.
  3. Listen for a second reboot, and then release the keys.
Have you reset System Management Controller or SMC? Here’s what to do if you want to reset the SMC (Intel Macs):
  1. Shut down the MacBook.
  2. Unplug and then reconnect the power cable.
  3. Press Shift + Ctrl + Option/Alt keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Now release all those keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. You may see the light on the power cable flicker.
  6. Restart your MacBook.
From there move onto trying to repair the boot drive with disk utility which should be present in the recovery partition. You access this with Command-R.

Now you are in Recovery mode here’s what to do:

1. Once your Mac starts in Recovery Mode you will gain access to Utilities. Click on the Disk Utility option.
  2. Locate your Mac’s drive – probably Macintosh HD, select it.
  3. Click First Aid.
  4. If there are errors with your disk, Disk Utility should find them and will either repair them automatically, or will ask if you would like to repair them. Click Repair Disk if this is the case.
In Recovery Mode you can also do the following:

Did you back up your MacBook with Time Machine by chance? A lot of questions but all impact potentially how you proceed.

I assume your MacBook is white? Is this correct? This would be a A1342 model. For this Mid 2010 MacBook, there are two usb2 ports to the right of the display port. This is where you would insert a flash drive with an os on it. If the above work flow was not successful.

macbook24ports.jpg

From here, if none of the above has worked, you may be looking at a reinstallation of MacOS, failed drive replacement or both. Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.