Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Ok here they are in order

1. Does it still hurt battery life to have 3g on when no 3g network is available
2. Does the little symbol that shows your data connection next to the bars show if 3G is available if you have 3g available

Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
anyone want to chime in on the first question at least?

I just want to know if 3G effects your battery life if you have it enabled but are in a edge only area.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Slightly. It will use some battery searching for 3G networks. But not much.

The real power drain is when USING 3G, ie. browsing or downloading. Not while simply being idle on the network.

If the symbol shows 3G, you are connected to an available 3G network. It will show E when 3G is not available but EDGE is. It will show Airport strength when you are connected to an airport network. It basically shows the fastest available network you are on.

Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Slightly. It will use some battery searching for 3G networks. But not much.

The real power drain is when USING 3G, ie. browsing or downloading. Not while simply being idle on the network.

If the symbol shows 3G, you are connected to an available 3G network. It will show E when 3G is not available but EDGE is. It will show Airport strength when you are connected to an airport network. It basically shows the fastest available network you are on.

So if I have 3G off the icon will still show me that 3G is available?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.