Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Hi, I have a PowerMac G4 and I have decided that instead of investing in a new machine I should spend some money and do it up. I was thinking about getting some pro speakers and have the following question:

1. How long is the cable from the speakers to the PC. My tower is on the floor and I have an intricate layout of wires to my monitor.

2. Is it possible to make these speakers work with a PC? I have the PowerMac and the PC on a KVM switch as was wondering if I can take them through the auido port of the KVM (thinking about it this wouldn't work as the Pro Speakers are not a standard 3.5mm audio jack are they...

Anyway if anyone has a set and can answer these questions that would be great, or just some gernal opinions on them.

Thanks.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
Speakers will not work with a PC.

The cable is long enough to go from the floor to a normal height desk with a little room for play around other wires. The cable may be longer, I sold mine a while back and don't have them anymore, so I'm working from memory here.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
I have just found out that they are 2.5mm so that puts knockers on the PC link. Hmm, they are only about £30 on eBay at the moment which doesn't seem too bad but it would leave me without any PC speakers. Hmmm

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
If it helps, I switched out mine for a little 2.1 speaker set. The sound on the Pro Speakers was great, but I really like the dedicated subwoofer I have now. Plus a 2.1 set will go thru your KVM switch.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
I have the pro speakers, they are great sounding, especially if you add a subwoofer.

How about a set of HK soundsticks? They are PC compatible.

Also, check out the Griffin iFire,

http://www.bytewizecomputers.com/products/7/3/463/9604

its been discontinued, but may be available somewhere. I have one, and it lets me use my G5 and PC with the Pro Speakers. Of course, you are buying pro speakers + iFire, its gets expensive!

Joony

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2005
Those Griffin iFires are overpriced on ebay :(

I have two sets of Pro Speakers. One has a very long cable that can reach to Tower on the floor, but the other seems to have a very short one designed for the iMac G4. Choose wisely :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.