Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bagelche

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Western Mass.
Forgive me if this has been covered before, but it seems like an intersection of a variety of questions, so I went ahead.

I recently took a new job. They have only a few employees and have a family plan through AT&T. The person I'm replacing wants to keep the number he had, but give back the company's iPhone 4S. They're OK with that and would port the number out to him. His line has grandfathered unlimited data and grandfathered $5/200 text plan and it's grandfathered as a $10 line. They are willing to port my number in and cover the cost of it.

I currently have the same grandfathered text and data plans on my personal 4S. My phone is 64GB and theirs is a 16GB device. I'd want to keep using my phone. If I join the company's plan and can keep the grandfathered details, that's great, but I don't want to just give up my own grandfathered plans unnecessarily.

To further complicate things, I have my own family plan with my mom on a dumb phone ($10/line) and am getting ready for my daughter to have her own phone. Boss is understandably not comfortable with my giving her the company's 16GB phone for her use even if I'm responsible in case of loss/damage.

So, questions:
- Can AT&T port the number out & mine in and still keep the grandfathered data/text plans?
- Is porting the right terminology for what's happening here (all within AT&T) as opposed to adding/dropping?
- Can I keep the grandfathered data/text plans on my existing plan if I want to add a line/number for my daughter and shift it to that?
- Other suggestions for how this might be handled?

Thanks for your input.

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
First, it is not porting when the numbers stay within AT&T. It is called "transfer of responsibility". If in fact, the company is set up as a business account both of you will loose your grandfathered unlimited data.

Keep your number on your account and let your daughter use the number and unlimited data.

Let the company get you a new number.

My wife just went through this as the person leaving the company. The company gave her the phone and wanted her to have her old number. In the swap she lost an International data plan that was on her company number and lost a grandfathered data plan that was on her personal number. All this in spite of AT&T clerks all telling us this wouldn't happen. In the end we fought it as high as we could and lost.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
First, it is not porting when the numbers stay within AT&T. It is called "transfer of responsibility". If in fact, the company is set up as a business account both of you will loose your grandfathered unlimited data.

Keep your number on your account and let your daughter use the number and unlimited data.

Let the company get you a new number.

My wife just went through this as the person leaving the company. The company gave her the phone and wanted her to have her old number. In the swap she lost an International data plan that was on her company number and lost a grandfathered data plan that was on her personal number. All this in spite of AT&T clerks all telling us this wouldn't happen. In the end we fought it as high as we could and lost.

That is crap. I hate AT&T so much some times. We have uverse and have been having some issues, and they have lied so many times. They never stand behind any of their promises. What are you going to do though. All the carriers are the same

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
You got a bit of misinformation in this post. They were correct about it not being a port if it is service between Att. As far as keeping unlimited data if you do a transfer of responsibility was incorrect. You can keep your unlimited data as long as the account you are going to is not on a mobile share plan. The text feature may be lost if they have unlimited family texting. As far as adding a line for your daughter and her taking on your unlimited data it can't be done. You have to make sure that you let the rep know that you want to keep the unlimited data before hand because the system is designed to knock people off and the rep has to pay attention that they choose the unlimited data plan. It will choose a 3gb plan if they are not paying attention.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
That is crap. I hate AT&T so much some times. We have uverse and have been having some issues, and they have lied so many times. They never stand behind any of their promises. What are you going to do though. All the carriers are the same

LOL! All the carriers would do the same thing. Just cause you don't get your way . . . . .:p

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
LOL! All the carriers would do the same thing. Just cause you don't get your way . . . . .:p

Read my post I said just that. Not getting my way has nothing to do with anything. The person I quoted said the CS rep said they could keep the unlimited data, but that did not happen. I get we don't get everything we want, but being lied to is terrible business. I and the person I quoted were both lied to, and they should have had to stand behind what their CS rep told us. If they don't want reps giving wrong information then hire people that know what they are doing. Getting what I want would be asking and demanding something they have told me they can't do. When they tell me they can do something then don't, and I argue they should stand behind their promises. That is just asking for good CS. Maybe I am asking for too much from AT&T.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Everything I stated above is because I have TRIED this over the phone and in a brick and mortar. Officially, no, you CAN NOT transfer grandfathered data to another account. You simply CAN'T. As soon as it is transferred to another account (regardless of what plans are already on the account) the new owner is forced to choose from data plans that AT&T is CURRENTLY offering.

It used to be the case that it was transferable, and it used to be the case that people sold their unlimited plans for big bucks. I think it is pretty damn good evidence that this NO LONGER can be done by the fact that you can't find a soul selling their AT&T unlimited plan transfer any longer.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Everything I stated above is because I have TRIED this over the phone and in a brick and mortar. Officially, no, you CAN NOT transfer grandfathered data to another account. You simply CAN'T. As soon as it is transferred to another account (regardless of what plans are already on the account) the new owner is forced to choose from data plans that AT&T is CURRENTLY offering.

It used to be the case that it was transferable, and it used to be the case that people sold their unlimited plans for big bucks. I think it is pretty damn good evidence that this NO LONGER can be done by the fact that you can't find a soul selling their AT&T unlimited plan transfer any longer.

Wait so all these threads on macrumors about people transfer their account responsibilities to another person are wrong? I have seen one almost everyday about people saying they are selling and giving the responsibility to someone else. If seems to work for them just fine. What makes your case different?

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
To clarify, the grandfathered unlimited data plan is tied to your phone number. It can not be transferred to another number even within your account. The sure way to keep it is to just give the number and plan to your daughter.

In the future, you might be able to get it back from her but you will never get it back from AT&T. :):):)

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
To clarify, the grandfathered unlimited data plan is tied to your phone number. It can not be transferred to another number even within your account. The sure way to keep it is to just give the number and plan to your daughter.

In the future, you might be able to get it back from her but you will never get it back from AT&T. :):):)

Where are you getting this info? People sell off or let someone else take responsibility for their unlimited data plan line all the time. If you are getting this from a CS rep then there is your problem. People do this all the time, so unless you know something that is about to change about AT&T then you have wrong information.

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Where are you getting this info? People sell off or let someone else take responsibility for their unlimited data plan line all the time. If you are getting this from a CS rep then there is your problem. People do this all the time, so unless you know something that is about to change about AT&T then you have wrong information.

My information is based upon actual experience with AT&T in the last month.

If you read both my posts you would see that CS both in the store and on the phone said what we wanted could be done but they were overruled and we escalated twice and were told that this was current policy. That policy is that in a change of responsibility the unlimited data program belongs to the number and cannot be moved to another number and any program that is not currently offered will not transfer.

That's not something I heard or read on the Internet. That is real life experience. Sorry if it is not what you heard or read.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
My information is based upon actual experience with AT&T in the last month.

If you read both my posts you would see that CS both in the store and on the phone said what we wanted could be done but they were overruled and we escalated twice and were told that this was current policy. That policy is that in a change of responsibility the unlimited data program belongs to the number and cannot be moved to another number and any program that is not currently offered will not transfer.

That's not something I heard or read on the Internet. That is real life experience. Sorry if it is not what you heard or read.

Well sorry it did not work for you. I know of people that have done it do kind of weird. Maybe you had crappy AT&T employees or something I don't know.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Wait so all these threads on macrumors about people transfer their account responsibilities to another person are wrong? I have seen one almost everyday about people saying they are selling and giving the responsibility to someone else. If seems to work for them just fine. What makes your case different?

Not sure what makes my case different, but I have tried multiple times. And again, you used to see accounts being sold on eBay all the time. Not anymore (and no, there is nothing in eBay terms of use that prevents it). That's evidence enough for me. :)

Like I said, TECHNICALLY it is possible. Technically it is possible for the right level person at AT&T to add an unlimited data line to a brand new account. OFICIALLY, not supposed to happen.

As I mentioned in another (unrelated) thread, I got credited for $85 because I asked about some charges on my account (that turned out to be legitimate directory calls made). Technically, obviously they could credit me the $85. Officially, it obviously isn't their policy. That's all I am saying here, folks!

----------

And in case you still don't believe me...

If you are the new owner of the account, you'll need to meet these conditions:
  • You must be at least 18 years old. Exceptions: 19 yrs. old in Alabama, 21 yrs. old in Puerto Rico
  • You must complete a credit evaluation when you accept the transfer and you may be required to pay a deposit.
  • You must accept the remaining contract term from the date of the transfer.
  • You'll need to select currently offered rate plans/features.

From: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB94735&cv=820#fbid=-R8b5rtO-OO

----------

Well sorry it did not work for you. I know of people that have done it do kind of weird. Maybe you had crappy AT&T employees or something I don't know.

What he got was an AT&T employee operating by the rules that AT&T, as a company, has set forth and made publicly available for anyone who cares to read them. :)

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Not sure what makes my case different, but I have tried multiple times. And again, you used to see accounts being sold on eBay all the time. Not anymore (and no, there is nothing in eBay terms of use that prevents it). That's evidence enough for me. :)

Like I said, TECHNICALLY it is possible. Technically it is possible for the right level person at AT&T to add an unlimited data line to a brand new account. OFICIALLY, not supposed to happen.

As I mentioned in another (unrelated) thread, I got credited for $85 because I asked about some charges on my account (that turned out to be legitimate directory calls made). Technically, obviously they could credit me the $85. Officially, it obviously isn't their policy. That's all I am saying here, folks!

----------

[/LIST]

From: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB94735&cv=820#fbid=-R8b5rtO-OO

----------

What he got was an AT&T employee operating by the rules that AT&T, as a company, has set forth and made publicly available for anyone who cares to read them. :)

I am so glad you have the rules and all. I believe it works a lot like the unlocking process. Their technical rules are you have to be done with your contract on the phone, but in my case I have had an account with AT&T for 15+ years, so when I ask for my iphone 5 to be unlocked only after owning it for 5 months they said sure, and did it. The same goes for unlimited data switching. Yes technically you can not transfer responsibility, but that does not mean it can't be done.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I am so glad you have the rules and all. I believe it works a lot like the unlocking process. Their technical rules are you have to be done with your contract on the phone, but in my case I have had an account with AT&T for 15+ years, so when I ask for my iphone 5 to be unlocked only after owning it for 5 months they said sure, and did it. The same goes for unlimited data switching. Yes technically you can not transfer responsibility, but that does not mean it can't be done.

And I never claimed it absolutely couldn't. When someone asks if something can be done though on a forum, I generally tend to shy away from going with the "special cases". "I am the President's daughter, I do what I want". That's cool. But the rest of us schmucks aren't, and we get to deal with the rules that the company we are buying service from set forth.

Brings me back to my story about getting "random" credit to my account. It can be done. But I am not about to sit here and say YES THEY WILL DO THAT FOR YOU. Why? because they aren't supposed to. In general, when responding in a forum, I don't sit here quoting the EXCEPTION, rather the RULE because, well, that actually makes sense.

Take home point is, if the AT&T rep refuses to do this for you, don't get PO'd about it. They are only doing what they are supposed to do.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
And I never claimed it couldn't. When someone asks if something can be done though on a forum, I generally tend to shy away from going with the "special cases".

Brings me back to my story about getting "random" credit to my account. It can be done. But I am not about to sit here and say YES THEY WILL DO THAT FOR YOU. Why? because they aren't supposed to. In general, when responding in a forum, I don't sit here quoting the EXCEPTION, rather the RULE because, well, that actually makes sense.

Sure I understand that, but it never hurt to try.

bagelche

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Western Mass.
Interesting discussion. Thanks for the info. I was pretty sure "porting" wasn't the right terminology, but I didn't know what was correct.

It looks like we're going to do this in 2 stages. Company-wise it wouldn't make much difference if I came on without the grandfathered items. If they shifted over to the new shared plans it would cost $5 more but there'd be unlimited text/minutes (both of which have been issues in the past) and on shared data, based on past usage comparisons it would be fine. So they're releasing the number to the other fellow.

As for me, I've still got to play to figure out how to make things work on my end. I can forgo grandfathered items as long as I don't end up spending more than I would if I just stayed on my own plan. Realistically, the kid will use primarily texts and minutes, but won't do much data that's not near a wifi access point. And there's the question of getting her a phone. So...to be figured out.

Thanks for all the discussion so far.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
On HoFo forums it is said that it can be done when it's over the phone.

Sigh. I am not sure why everyone keeps beating this dead horse. Read the link I posted. Officially they aren't supposed to do it based on AT&T own policy that they make publicly available for everyone who cares to take the thirty seconds it took me to look it up. What they MIGHT BE WILLING to do over the phone is a different story. People who have had this done were the exception, not the rule.

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country

----------

[/LIST]

----------

Again if you are on unlimited data and grandfathered in you can keep it when you do transfer of responsibility. Att still allows grandfathered data and your link does not mention everything. It is brief, now you cannot transfer unlimited international data plans period. You can't even change devices if you have this plan because its not even coded in the system. Maybe you know of people who were trying to transfer into NBI accounts which the rules are different. If it is a regular IRU account it can be done. FACT...

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Again if you are on unlimited data and grandfathered in you can keep it when you do transfer of responsibility. Att still allows grandfathered data and your link does not mention everything. It is brief, now you cannot transfer unlimited international data plans period. You can't even change devices if you have this plan because its not even coded in the system. Maybe you know of people who were trying to transfer into NBI accounts which the rules are different. If it is a regular IRU account it can be done. FACT...

The link is brief because it doesn't need to go into more detai. Their official stance is you cannot keep an unlimited data plan (or any other grandfathered plan) when transferring ownership. I didn't only get this from reading the link, but I used the link to back myself up. I have been told this by multiple AT&T reps. I used to sell unlimited data plans whe there was the iPhone 2G loophole. I am not just talking out my butt here... I've spent more time on the phone and in front of AT&T reps than I am proud to admit. I don't deny that it is physically possible for them to allow such transfers, and never did. I stand by the statement that, based on AT&T's policies, they don't HAVE to honor the unlimited data plan once ownership of the line has been transferred. Furhter, officially speaking, they won't honor said plan.

EDIT: And since I am hard-headed, here is a screenie I just took of an online chat I did with an AT&T rep. And yes, the rep thought I was a lady based on my name, I supposed. :(

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-27 at 8.00.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-27 at 8.00.14 PM.png
    95.4 KB · Views: 445
Last edited:

aec2013

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2013
it is in fact possible to transfer grandfathered data

Hi All,

In regards to the questions above. I transferred responsibility of a 450 anytime unlimited text and unlimited grandfathered data from my sisters name into my name. I was an authorized user on the account but never had my social or any identifying info on it other then email. I went through the steps and then it prompted me to choose my plan. I chose the 450 plan and it showed all the current plans i had i.e unlimited 4g data mobile insurance etc and i was able to deselect and change but didn't want to for obvious reasons. Then i completed the process. I then called and the lady told me unlimited data and updates take up to 24 hours to transfer. I just received the text message saying all my features including my unlimited data are now active which is about 12 hours later. I kept the same number phone and sim and my contract end date is the same under my name expiring in october of 2013. The transfer didn't cause me to extend my contract either. I know get 20% off with my employer and wish I knew this was possible a year ago as it would have saved me about 300.00 so far. I wish you guys all the best luck with your transfers. I can screen shot the text message saying it was sucessfully transfered if anyone likes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.