Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clockerjohn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2024
Hey guys, I’ve been a lurker but I decided to join to ask a few questions. I plan to buy an iPad when the new ones are released, I’m hoping they release a new version of the iPad mini. I mainly have two questions, unfortunately I don’t have an Apple Store anywhere near me so I can’t go there to try it out.

First, I’m just curious about the Messages app on the iPad. I have read people here saying that they put their iPhone down at the door when they enter their home and use their iPad for everything. I would like to do that if possible, but my concern is that approximately 15% of the people I talk to on a regular basis use Android phones so our communication is in basic text message. I know I will be able to see iMessages on the Messages app on my iPad, but will text messages sent to my iPhone also show up on the iPad?

My second question is about the resolution on the different size iPads. The iPad mini is a good overall size for me, and I have pretty good vision so I don’t need things to be larger. My only concern is if I get an iPad mini and it limits how much could be shown on the screen. For example, I don’t want it to be neutered and not show as much as I would see on a larger sized iPad. Can anyone tell me how that works? Will apps be different on an iPad mini versus the more moderate sized iPad Air? Will I get mobile versions of websites on the mini when I would otherwise get full versions on the air?

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
If you enable Text Forwarding on your iPhone, you’ll be able get all your regular SMS on the iPad. Most of the people contact are on iMessage but it’s a very useful feature for OTPs.

I have all 3 sizes. I actually have the mini 6 set to request mobile websites since layout on desktop versions can often be wonky on its smaller display. The mini’s a really nice size for an ereader though.

Clockerjohn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2024
OK, so if I enable that option all text messages will be sent to my iPad? And I’ll be able to respond to them like normal through the iPad? That is excellent news, only I can’t find that option. I even searched in settings and no “text forwarding” (or similar) option. Would that option suddenly appear after I put an iPad on my iCloud account?

As far as the size, if I choose to get the full-size website on my iPad mini, then it’s essentially the same as the larger sizes? I guess I ask this because I want to try to use my mini for as much of the stuff I would use a computer for as possible.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
OK, so if I enable that option all text messages will be sent to my iPad? And I’ll be able to respond to them like normal through the iPad? That is excellent news, only I can’t find that option. I even searched in settings and no “text forwarding” (or similar) option. Would that option suddenly appear after I put an iPad on my iCloud account?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
As far as the size, if I choose to get the full-size website on my iPad mini, then it’s essentially the same as the larger sizes? I guess I ask this because I want to try to use my mini for as much of the stuff I would use a computer for as possible.

Sometimes it is. Sometimes it isn’t. Like I mentioned, desktop layout webpages can be wonky at times.

Reactions: max2

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
Hey guys, I’ve been a lurker but I decided to join to ask a few questions. I plan to buy an iPad when the new ones are released, I’m hoping they release a new version of the iPad mini. I mainly have two questions, unfortunately I don’t have an Apple Store anywhere near me so I can’t go there to try it out.

First, I’m just curious about the Messages app on the iPad. I have read people here saying that they put their iPhone down at the door when they enter their home and use their iPad for everything. I would like to do that if possible, but my concern is that approximately 15% of the people I talk to on a regular basis use Android phones so our communication is in basic text message. I know I will be able to see iMessages on the Messages app on my iPad, but will text messages sent to my iPhone also show up on the iPad?

My second question is about the resolution on the different size iPads. The iPad mini is a good overall size for me, and I have pretty good vision so I don’t need things to be larger. My only concern is if I get an iPad mini and it limits how much could be shown on the screen. For example, I don’t want it to be neutered and not show as much as I would see on a larger sized iPad. Can anyone tell me how that works? Will apps be different on an iPad mini versus the more moderate sized iPad Air? Will I get mobile versions of websites on the mini when I would otherwise get full versions on the air?
What sucks is that ipad mini probably won’t be announced in march, but in the Fall season.

Which is unfortunate because i prefer the ipad mini size

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
It really depends on how the sites are developed. Some are developed to be responsive or adaptive, and others are still old-school. You can test this out right now with your phone to get an idea of what it's like.

For example, go to macrumors.com and request the desktop site. It'll still load a layout optimized for the small screen and looks the same as before. It won't have the same layout you see on a desktop (unless your browser window is really small). This is a responsive or adaptive site where it arranges the content based on the screen or window size.

Now go to arstechnica.com and request the desktop site. It loads the desktop layout, but everything is tiny and/or off screen. This site still does things the old-school way. It has separate sites dedicated for the desktop and mobile layouts.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.