Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

belf8st

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
I'm looking to purchase a new xserve soon. Can anybody confirm if Apple has some sort of software assurance policy? I'd hate to purchase the product now with 10.4 server and then have to pay full price for 10.5 down the road. The item I need in particular is the new ical/collaboration features being offered in 10.5.

cf

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
You may receive the latest OS for the price of shipping if you buy a new computer with the old OS. However, the Window to do this is very narrow--no more than a month.

Yoursh

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
MN
Apple does offer the Mac OS X Server Maintenance Program for new Xserves. The program is $999 USD and provides any OS upgrades for 3 years.(Which is also the same price of the retail version of the unlimited client version.) Unless they state otherwise, don't expect any free upgrades before 10.5 is released. If the 10.5 features are very important to you, I would say try and hold off on your purchase.

Edit:Go to the Xserve configuration page in the Apple store to see your options.

awmazz

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2007
I'm looking to purchase a new xserve soon. Can anybody confirm if Apple has some sort of software assurance policy? I'd hate to purchase the product now with 10.4 server and then have to pay full price for 10.5 down the road. The item I need in particular is the new ical/collaboration features being offered in 10.5.

cf

I was looking into this myself for the very same reason and the impression I got from some older disillusioned/angry comments on the Apple store was when 10.4 was released, those who had just bought 10.3 had to pay full price again, ie no upgrade path at all, even if they had just bought the day before 10.4 release. So I assume the same again will happen from 10.4 to 10.5, which makes waiting the best option unless money is no object.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.