Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aquadisiac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2009
US
Help I just signed up for the trial but I cannot get back to my mac to work. i tried to change settings in airport utility but it keeps saying my dhcp begginning and ending addresses are different. Now what got me to that point was MobileMe saying i needed to enable NAT.

I just want to be able to access my files from my windows computers. WHy is it so hard? :confused:

Also, random question. I have an older model airport express.....i know my mbp(2 weeks) is wireless n enabled but its not connected that way. Does that mean the express is only bg enabled?

aquadisiac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2009
US
any help? if there's no fix, is there a program similar to mobile me by mac cos this shiz isnt working. lol

Creative One

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2009
Ontario
Help I just signed up for the trial but I cannot get back to my mac to work. i tried to change settings in airport utility but it keeps saying my dhcp begginning and ending addresses are different. Now what got me to that point was MobileMe saying i needed to enable NAT.

I just want to be able to access my files from my windows computers. WHy is it so hard? :confused:

Also, random question. I have an older model airport express.....i know my mbp(2 weeks) is wireless n enabled but its not connected that way. Does that mean the express is only bg enabled?

I believe Back to my Mac, is only for Mac's.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Back to my Mac is only for connect Macs across the internet. It isn't for Windows machines.

If the Windows machines are on the same network as the Mac then basic File Sharing will work. If they are not on the same network then a combination of file sharing and port forwarding should do the trick.

Macsterguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Texas

The reason file sharing is difficult is because the two platforms have completely different file systems... To share files ON your mac FROM a pc - make sure that on your mac in system prefs / sharing / file sharing - click the "options" button and make sure that you select (or check) the "Share files and folders using SMB (Windows)".

Your random question - The new airport express's are 802.11n. The older ones are b/g. Connecting to your express with your macbook pro will be a G connection or the slowest / lowest common denominator.

I am not sure but I don't think you will be able to get any of the BTMM functionality to work with an airport express. It will be far better to spring for a new Airport Extreme (dual band 80211.n) OR a TimeCapsule if you can...

BTMM is easy to setup and works very well with the AE or TC. They are better and faster at longer distances and you can share printer's and hang external drives off of them (AE). Take it another step and get a time capsule and use TimeMachine wirelessly (along with BTMM)

Hope this helps...

aquadisiac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2009
US
Thank you guys so much for answering my questions! Can I access my files on mobileme from my windows pcs? I actually just ordered a Time Capsule 500GB thank goodness so ill be getting rid of the express.

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Yes you can access your mobileme files via a pc as you access the mobile me website to access them

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.