Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 23, 2015
Just curious if I should have any worries about using my 2017 pro since it's not able to update to the latest macOS version. I really only use it for browsing and other light activities that I can't easily do on my iPad. Do I need to worry about security and internet threats? I've never had any device that ran out of updates and can not afford anything new right now. Should I think about forcing an update to the latest MacOS?

RUGERMAN

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2010
Just curious if I should have any worries about using my 2017 pro since it's not able to update to the latest macOS version. I really only use it for browsing and other light activities that I can't easily do on my iPad. Do I need to worry about security and internet threats? I've never had any device that ran out of updates and can not afford anything new right now. Should I think about forcing an update to the latest MacOS?
IDK, but I have the same computer and it runs fine on Ventura 13.6.4 (22G513) when I start having trouble I'll think about upgrading.

rovostrov

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2020
I believe your system will run Ventura, which should still receive security updates for a couple more years. I wouldn't worry much about it.

Reactions: StoneJack

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
What OS is on it now?

I can speak only for myself, but I'd just "use it as long as it still works".
Or... until you decide that you want something newer...

sgage

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2024
I have a 15" 2017 MBP. It is running Ventura just fine. I plan to use it for at least a few more years.

Reactions: StoneJack
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.