Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
Hey all. Trying to salvage my old iPad 2. I bought it new and JB almost instantly and had it JB for many years. Well, made the mistake a while ago of updating to iOS8 and it fairly bricked the old dog, so after trying to live with it, I said screw it and updated to 9. How back could it be if Apple is letting you update?

Well, it's so laggy and slow now, it's too frustrating to use. It will barely even browse the web now.

SO. There's SO much old information on the web now, that I can't find any reliable information on finding out what shsh blobs I've saved on the machine (I saved several early on) and how/if I can stitch a custom ipsw file and get the old dog back on a usuable older version of iOS.

Any ideas or pointers?

Many thanks!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hey all. Trying to salvage my old iPad 2. I bought it new and JB almost instantly and had it JB for many years. Well, made the mistake a while ago of updating to iOS8 and it fairly bricked the old dog, so after trying to live with it, I said screw it and updated to 9. How back could it be if Apple is letting you update?

Well, it's so laggy and slow now, it's too frustrating to use. It will barely even browse the web now.

SO. There's SO much old information on the web now, that I can't find any reliable information on finding out what shsh blobs I've saved on the machine (I saved several early on) and how/if I can stitch a custom ipsw file and get the old dog back on a usuable older version of iOS.

Any ideas or pointers?

Many thanks!
It's not like it used to be in iOS 6 and below where you just used an app to stitch together an IPSW and downgrade. iOS 7 introduced AP Ticket and blobs are no longer used past iOS 6. There's a method out there if you have a 32 bit device (certain iPhones and iPads) but you need to be jailbroken to start with.

If you are currently on 9.3.5 you're stuck.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
It's not like it used to be in iOS 6 and below where you just used an app to stitch together an IPSW and downgrade. iOS 7 introduced AP Ticket and blobs are no longer used past iOS 6. There's a method out there if you have a 32 bit device (certain iPhones and iPads) but you need to be jailbroken to start with.

If you are currently on 9.3.5 you're stuck.

Yeah, that's the impression I was getting. I'm still really surprised Apple won't let you take older devices back to something a little more functional. Then again, it this was working like it used to, I wouldn't have just bought a new iPad Air 2. Got me by the short hairs, they do.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yeah, that's the impression I was getting. I'm still really surprised Apple won't let you take older devices back to something a little more functional. Then again, it this was working like it used to, I wouldn't have just bought a new iPad Air 2. Got me by the short hairs, they do.
Yep. And this is mainly why they prevent this. Apple is a hardware company after all. The OS is simply what drives the sales of hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.