Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
I'm new to using Time Machine (TM) and have a couple of questions.

First, I assume that each backup is incremental to the initial one. So what would happen if I enter TM and manually delete the oldest backup? I read that TM automatically deletes the oldest one when disk space is running low. How does that work if subsequent backups are dependent on it?

Second, whenever I am done with a backup the external disk will not eject - I get a message saying some application is still using it - and I have to force eject. It doesn't seem to create an issue for the next backup, but any suggestion as to what is happening?

Thanks.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I'm new to using Time Machine (TM) and have a couple of questions.

First, I assume that each backup is incremental to the initial one. So what would happen if I enter TM and manually delete the oldest backup? I read that TM automatically deletes the oldest one when disk space is running low. How does that work if subsequent backups are dependent on it?

Second, whenever I am done with a backup the external disk will not eject - I get a message saying some application is still using it - and I have to force eject. It doesn't seem to create an issue for the next backup, but any suggestion as to what is happening?

Thanks.

don‘t manual delete backups - it will corrupt the subsequent backups and time machine will force you to create a new backup from scratch. It does automatically prune old backups, and does so by fixing up the links so that it has everything it needs.

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
don‘t manual delete backups - it will corrupt the subsequent backups and time machine will force you to create a new backup from scratch. It does automatically prune old backups, and does so by fixing up the links so that it has everything it needs.
Ok thanks. I'm glad that I asked before doing that. I'll just let it do things automatically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.