Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayAgostino

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Massachusetts
I have no idea of how well it works.
Judging by the specs, I’m not too worried about that.
you will be limited by the capabilities of the computers and devices that connect to the router.
All of my main devices have WiFi 6 and are only about a year old, so I’m not too worried about that either.
I have never used Zoom, so no idea. But again, you are not likely to get gigabit speeds over wifi.
Well, what about any video conferencing software in general?

I know that I won’t get gigabit speeds over WiFi, but wouldn’t it still be faster than what I already have (especially when it comes to upload speeds)? Even then, I might be using Zoom over Ethernet a good portion of the time.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
What do you mean?

Wifi will be the limiting factor. Trying to connect through a centrally located all-in-one router that includes a wireless access point will be significantly slower than having multiple APs where you need them. Even so, sitting right next to a very good 802.11ac AP, I only get around 300Mb/s, whereas ethernet devices get around 900 Mb/s.

JayAgostino

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Massachusetts
Honestly, I think I've contributed about all I can here. Hopefully someone else can provide additional insights.
Well, thanks for your contributions in this thread! My questions have generally been answered anyways, so I’m satisfied.
[automerge]1597673670[/automerge]
sitting right next to a very good 802.11ac AP, I only get around 300Mb/s, whereas ethernet devices get around 900 Mb/s.
What about an 802.11ax AP?

Reactions: Boyd01

JayAgostino

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Massachusetts
Oh, looking at “other networks” on my iPhone, I can see that two of my neighbors already have Verizon Fios, so that’s worth mentioning.

That might explain why Verizon Fios is available in my area.

JayAgostino

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2020
Massachusetts
Oh, looking at “other networks” on my iPhone, I can see that two of my neighbors already have Verizon Fios, so that’s worth mentioning.

That might explain why Verizon Fios is available in my area.
As it turns out, my next-door neighbor has Verizon Fios (the 100 down/100 up plan). He likes it.

PhoenixDown

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Are you planning to get FIOS TV Service or just FIOS Internet?

How proficient are you with networking/tech?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.