Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Just1nCase

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
Hello,

I got a few questions before I jailbreak:

a) Does the iPod Touch become glitchy and unstable when the iPod Touch has been jailbreaked and installed with 3rd party apps?

b) Is easy to install iPhone applications (i.e. Mail, Notes, Maps, Weather) to my iPod Touch once its jailbreaked?

c) Will Apple's new updates brick my iPod Touch? Is there any way I can prevent it from bricking my iPod?

Please let me know. Thanks, I appreciate it.

iNeurox

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2007
Montréal
Hi there.

I had the same questions you have before Jailbreaking it with iJailBreak (Mac).

With iJailbreak, not only does it Jailbreaks your iPod Touch automatically (without using codes, stuff like that), but it also installs iPhone apps right when it Jailbreaks it.

Mine works perfectly after using iJailbreak.

So for me it would be :

1. No.

2. Really, really easy : didn't have anything to do, iJailBreak installed the iPhone apps automatically.

3. An iPod Touch can't be bricked 'cause you can Restore it via iTunes or Force Restore it by connecting it to iTunes and holdin the Home and the Sleep/Wake Button at the same time. When it restores your iPod, it reinstalls the OS from scratch and there is no trace of hacking or anyhing else. So no bricking for iTouch yet.

Hope this helps you !

Have a nice JailBreak !:D

iNeurox

Just1nCase

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
Thanks for the quick response! It looks like there is always a way out then, when your iPod touch becomes unresponsive.

hatcher146

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2007
north carolina
Which jailbreak did you use? I havent done it yet but i plan on it. Did you use the "touchfree jailbreak gui" on a few forums down? Is this the one that is very easy one and automatically puts all the apps on it?

iNeurox

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2007
Montréal
Since I'm on a Mac, I used iJailBreak which is easier t use than Touchfree (I never used Touchfree, I am relying on comments from people). If you're on a PC :)rolleyes:), then, use Touchfree. I am not sure if Touchfree actually installs the iPhone Apps on your Touch.

iJailBreak :

- JailBreaks your Touch
- Installs "Installer.app"
- Installs the iPhone Apps
- Works perfectly

;)

hatcher146

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2007
north carolina
Since I'm on a Mac, I used iJailBreak which is easier t use than Touchfree (I never used Touchfree, I am relying on comments from people). If you're on a PC :)rolleyes:), then, use Touchfree. I am not sure if Touchfree actually installs the iPhone Apps on your Touch.

iJailBreak :

- JailBreaks your Touch
- Installs "Installer.app"
- Installs the iPhone Apps
- Works perfectly

;)

ok..im in the process of doing the actual jailbreaking right now....it says.."jailbreaking....this step will take a while. if it still jailbreaking after 10 min then something has gone wrong" ok while it is doing this my iPod says nothing. is the iPod supposed to say syncing or something? orr am i good?

uburoibob

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
The first time I iJailbroke mine, and installed the iPhone Apps, Summerboard and some 3rd party apps, it got really glitchy. Frequent crashes and hangs. Hung when trying to sync to iTunes.

I restored, and went only with iJailbreak and iPhone Apps and it's been great. I am toying with the idea of the udated Summerboard, but am a touch hesitant. Sure works nice now with what I have...

:eek:

iNeurox

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2007
Montréal
For Hatcher :

It should take less than 10 minutes. While it's doing that, nothing appears on the touch. Also, I'd recommend closing iTunes and stop syncing your iTouch while you are iJailBreaking. Just to be sure...;)

hatcher146

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2007
north carolina
ok...so i installed jailbreak...it works great...buttt a couple of things...

did you have to sync all of your content back onto the touch after jailbreaking

the installer app icon is not on my home screen right now, it was before.

how do i edit my mailboxes on mail? i entered something wrong, and i dont see where to edit.

thanks!

iNeurox

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2007
Montréal
Now, everything that was on your iPod Touch before stayed there. You don,t have to re-sync all the content ! That's great, isn't it ?

Also, for your Mail stuff, you can all Edit that in "Setting" -> Mail !

Have fun !

hatcher146

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2007
north carolina
i just did a full restart and installed jailbreak on the touch again.

in the installapp under update....there is "installer"....i installed that...and it gave me an error...when i pushed the home button...it does the little restart and then the installer icon is GONE, what do i do! this is the second time its hapend. do i have to do the jailbreaking all over again??

also

i installed summerboard once...buttt it messed up the touch it made the real iPod touch dock go to the top and it looked weird...will that happen again?

or is summerboard just when you have alot of apps? im confused on that.

anyone....thanks!!!

Just1nCase

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
I successfully jailbroke my iPod touch and enjoying every second of it. It was a extremely easy process. Thanks once again. By the way, whats "Summerboard"? Will help me rearrange my icons on my home screen? (such as moving the mail app icon to my dock).

iNeurox

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2007
Montréal
Yes, Summerboard does all of that (though I never used it, I just know it). But if you want, you can rearrange your icon list by doing this step by step :

1- Download the latest version of Cyberuck for Mac OS X.
2- Launch Cyberduck and select the SFTP option.
3- Input your iPod Touch's IP and enter the username "root" (without the " ") and the password "alpine" (without the " ").
4- Click the Advanced triangle underneath the Password field and input / for directory.
5- Connect on your Touch.
6- Now if you are not already in the / section of your iPod, navigate to /.
7- Download an N45A9.plist file (some people on this forum posted theirs).
8- Drag the N45A9.plist file to :
/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app
9- It will ask you if you want to replace the existing file. Just say you want to replace it.
10- Quit Cyberduck.
11- Restart/Reboot your iPod.
12- There you go, you now have a custom icon list arrangement.

Credits for this guide go to baummer and Mistashizzle

Good luck !

PS : You can modifiy the N45A9.plist file yourself, if you have the Developper Bundle on your Mac. You can just edit it with Property List Editor.

rjflyn

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2007
Does iJailbreak also automatically take care of the 300MB application limit or do I have to do that manually? I thought I have read that it does but then again I thought I read it doesn't so I need some clarification of that.

iNeurox

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2007
Montréal
After iJailBreaking my iPod (Jailbreak, install iPhone Apps, install Installer.app), I still had free space to install other apps from the Installer. So I'd say, well, yeah, iJailBreak doesn't fill your iPod with 300 MB of apps. You'll still have free space for other apps after iJailBreaking, you don't have to really worry about that.

PS : Sorry if my English isn't really good. It's my second language...:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.