Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Redline13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
I have an old G3 iBook that I am going to install a bigger hard drive in. When I get it in I want to reinstall tiger. The problem is that when I installed it the first time I started up the iBook in target disk mode and used the superdrive in my Powerbook to install tiger off the dvd. The hard drive I am installing in the iBook comes from a windows laptop and still has windows installed on it. My question is can will I be able to start the iBook in target diak mode with the new drive as it is. Is target diak mode a feature of Mac OS X or is it built into the hardware? If it's the latter I guess it won't be any problem. Does think Make any sense?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
I would guess you want to first boot the iBook from the CDROM and reformat that Windows drive to HFS+, THEN try target disk mode.

Replacing the hard deive in an iBook is not for the weak of heart. Google for takeapart instructions and videos first, then leave yourself a couple of hours, and work out a parts management plan so that every little thing that comes out, goes back in the right place. You will NOT be able to remember it all...

Redline13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
CanadaRAM said:
I would guess you want to first boot the iBook from the CDROM and reformat that Windows drive to HFS+, THEN try target disk mode.

Replacing the hard deive in an iBook is not for the weak of heart. Google for takeapart instructions and videos first, then leave yourself a couple of hours, and work out a parts management plan so that every little thing that comes out, goes back in the right place. You will NOT be able to remember it all...

Oh I know what I am in for. I have looked at a couple of online "how to's" and I have all the necessary tools. I got a neat diagram from pbfixit.com (I think) that shows all the screws in the order they come apart. the idea is that you take it apart all and tape the screws to the pictures so you don't confuse the order or where they go. As far the Cd's .... that is part of the problem. All I have is a copy of Tiger on DVD. That is why I am using the target disk mode o install the OS.

VegetaPunk

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2002
AZ
Redline13 said:
Oh I know what I am in for. I have looked at a couple of online "how to's" and I have all the necessary tools. I got a neat diagram from pbfixit.com (I think) that shows all the screws in the order they come apart. the idea is that you take it apart all and tape the screws to the pictures so you don't confuse the order or where they go. As far the Cd's .... that is part of the problem. All I have is a copy of Tiger on DVD. That is why I am using the target disk mode o install the OS.

Do you have access to a powermac? If so I would just pop your drive in it and reformat / install tiger from there. Doesnt take more then 5mins to add a second drive to a PM ;)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Redline13 said:
Oh. I thought you were using target disk mode because the iBook didn't have a DVD capable drive.

Mmmm. I have no idea whether target disk mode will work if there isn't a Mac volume in the machine to start with. You could get yourself an external firewire or USB 2.5" enclosure, they're pretty cheap, and put the drive in so you could format it before installing. You should also look into getting a bootable CD for that iBook, so you can do repairs, reset passwords and whatnot.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
In target disk mode, you should be able to do anything to the hard drive that you need to, that includes formating and partitioning it. Its hardware dependant - meaning you have to have firewire. but other than that, it should work like that.

Redline13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
CanadaRAM said:
Oh. I thought you were using target disk mode because the iBook didn't have a DVD capable drive.

That is the situation. Sorry if I was unclear.

Redline13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
slooksterPSV said:
In target disk mode, you should be able to do anything to the hard drive that you need to, that includes formating and partitioning it. Its hardware dependant - meaning you have to have firewire. but other than that, it should work like that.

So I should be able to start the iBook in target disk mode reguardless of what is on the drive? In this case a windows formatted drive with XP on it so I can reformat it using my powerbook?

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Redline13 said:
So I should be able to start the iBook in target disk mode reguardless of what is on the drive? In this case a windows formatted dirive with XP on it so I can reformat it using my powerbook?
It'll just recognize it as a drive of NTFS or FAT32 - or at least it should. I see no reason why not. Although, if you have Panther CD, I would recommend booting from it, and reformating, but the way, TDM, should work just fine for you. - Even as FAT32

Redline13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
slooksterPSV said:
It'll just recognize it as a drive of NTFS or FAT32 - or at least it should. I see no reason why not. Although, if you have Panther CD, I would recommend booting from it, and reformating, but the way, TDM, should work just fine for you. - Even as FAT32

I don't have a Panther cd or I would go that way. I am just trying to avoid buying a extrenal inclosure. Thanks for the info.

Redline13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
I caved and bought a cheap enclosure for the HD. I am going to format it, install tiger on it and then put it in the iBook. I when I turn it for the first time on i should be good to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.