Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deeds500

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
What do you think of the Pixle 3 notch? Do you think it looks better than the iphone notch, or more symmetrical? To me it looks smaller in width but bigger in height. What do you think?

Do you think these questions are stupid? Or do you realise I'm being sarcastic to get the point across once and for all that the notch, on any phone, let alone the iphone, is an ugly designed flaw, which was only put there by Apple because it had no other way to make FID work. And yet some of you carried on as if the hideous cut out of the screen was a value added feature or a fashion statement.

If you couldn't see the reason for the notch hate when it was introduced to the iphone, you might now see the reason for the hate because of the Pixle 3.

The sooner Apple eliminates the notch, the better.

Oh, and for those people who said last year that they liked the notch because it let others know you were using an iphone x, what must you be thinking now?

Reactions: iSilas and bryanc28

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
What do you think of the Pixle 3 notch? Do you think it looks better than the iphone notch, or more symmetrical? To me it looks smaller in width but bigger in height. What do you think?

Do you think these questions are stupid? Or do you realise I'm being sarcastic to get the point across once and for all that the notch, on any phone, let alone the iphone, is an ugly designed flaw, which was only put there by Apple because it had no other way to make FID work. And yet some of you carried on as if the hideous cut out of the screen was a value added feature or a fashion statement.

If you couldn't see the reason for the notch hate when it was introduced to the iphone, you might now see the reason for the hate because of the Pixle 3.

Oh, and for those people who said last year that they liked the notch because it let others know you were using an iphone x, what must you be thinking now?
Well considering some phone manufacturers follow Apples lead I’d say it really doesn’t matter. The notch has been utilized by google and many other phone manufacturers.. Apple has 86’d the headphone jack and slowly everyone has followed. Samsung note 10 and s11 are rumored to lose the headphone jack next year... When technology has eliminated the need for the notch, it will disappear and others will follow.. Just like Apple will include popular features from competitors phones..

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I honestly have no issue with the notch, but I don't get stuck on things like that to begin with. All the reviews seem to think that Google's notched is much deeper and uglier than Apple's, but it has a notch and a chin. However, people will buy it because it will be a good phone just like Apple's phones. One thing I know about most of these companies, they are all working to advance the technology and right now we are in the era of the notch and it will vanish in time.

bryanc28

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
Arlington, Va
If there was to be a surprise announcement of an “iPhone XSs”that has has no notch, the Apple Sheeple would implode. I hate the notch. It makes the phone look ugly.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
If there was to be a surprise announcement of an “iPhone XSs”that has has no notch, the Apple Sheeple would implode. I hate the notch. It makes the phone look ugly.

Grow up with the sheeple BS. Is that all you folks can come up with? No one is forcing you to buy a phone with the notch. It's a phone you aren't marring the damn thing.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area

So you would rather have the forehead with all that wasted space for nothing?!

Garemlin

Suspended
Oct 13, 2018
I don't mind the notch in general. But I'll admit the P3XL went a little overboard with it. Others like OnePlus and Huawei did it better. The notch on the Oppo F9 looks a little silly IMO.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

I can’t imagine why you care so much what other people think about a phone design. And don’t say that you don’t, because there’s really no other explanation for this thread.

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
giphy.gif

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Or do you realise I'm being sarcastic to get the point across once and for all that the notch, on any phone, let alone the iphone, is an ugly designed flaw, which was only put there by Apple because it had no other way to make FID work.

Nonsense. Even without Face ID, if you want an edge-to-edge screen, you still have a lot of hardware up there that still needs a home. You have the front facing camera, the speaker (earpiece), ambient light sensor, proximity sensor and microphone.

The notch exists because of the edge-to-edge screen, not because of Face ID.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
I don’t mind, but I also don’t love the notch. It’s really a non issue day to day.

What I didn’t like was the absolute waste of space on both ends of the phone with the Home button iPhones.

So in actuality, I love having more screen real estate versus physical phone dimensions now with the Xs Max and gladly will let the notch be part of that with no complaints.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Respectively, how many ‘Notch’ threads do we honestly need that discuss almost seemingly the same exhausted topic, just in different ways and worded differently? (No sarcasm intended in my question either.)

The notch is not a relevant ‘topic’ outside a tech forum. I have _never_ encountered one person who is made an issue or a claim that the notch affected their iPhone experience. It usually applies only to specific members on tech forums.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I prefer to think of it like this: there is no notch; Apple added ears for more information to be displayed.

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom

I was stunned that Apple went with the notch design last year. I thought it was ugly.

A year later, I got an XS and immediately found that it doesn’t matter. In. The. Slightest. Do I like it? No. Do I dislike it? No - no more than I liked or disliked the chunky forehead and chin of the old design. It’s just there, part of the design, not noticeable and facilitating the enormous benefit that is FaceID.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
The notch is a design compromise. We don't have the tech yet to put all the front sensors underneath the display so your options are:
  1. Have a bezelless display but with a cutout for the sensor. Pros: the top row icons are pushed up so you can fit a bit more on screen and have a more symmetric overall display shape. Cons: Notch gets in the way for fullscreen apps (videos, games in landscape orientation).
  2. Have a bezel at the top and bottom. Pros: No notch. Cons: Taller device or less screen space depending on the display size, bezel at the top and bottom.
  3. Have no notch but move the front camera and sensors to the bottom of the phone (see Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 and Sharp Aquos). Pros: No notch. Cons: You have to raise the phone a bit higher for selfies, might not work well with FaceID type tech. Front of the phone is less symmetrical. Taller device.
  4. Bezelless display and sensors moved to a part that pops out. Pros: No notch, no bezels. Cons: Won't work well for FaceID tech, possible mechanical failure rendering front camera unusable. Might make phone bulkier to accommodate the sliding out part or have less room to fit something else.
Apple went with #1. Samsung went with #2. Google took the worst of both on the Pixel 3 XL since it has both a notch and a chin. It's unnecessarily tall so it's more noticeable than the one on iPhone or other Android phones with a notch. It's like Google did not understand why Apple chose to do it like that.

If Apple had not used the notch they couldn't have used their chinless bottom design because it would make the phone asymmetrical at the top and that would look far worse than the bottom chin option used by Xiaomi in the Mi Mix 2.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I think the notch would be better if it wasn’t there but doesn’t worry me enough to put me off buying a phone that has one.

I’m not bezel obsessed though like many here and am fine with the bezels on my 8+. I don’t feel like I am missing anything by owning the classic design iPhone at this point in time.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
The P3 notch is even uglier than the iPhone’s.... I don’t mind the notch but of course if Apple manages to have no notch, I’d prefer that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.