Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donawalt

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Hi, I hope you can help me. I am experienced with Macs, iPhones, and iPads, but never had an Apple Watch - yet 😉

My questions is this - my daughter dropped off her old Apple Watch for me to factory reset it, and trade it in for her. Not being experienced with a Watch, I fumbles\d around with it a little - I don't even know what state it was in. I never saw a face with apps etc on it. Maybe she had reset it a while ago? It's a Watch 4 - she got a Watch 9 when they came out.

I do know that now if I put my iPhone near it, it asks to be paired.

This picture is what it looks like (circling through multiple languages) if I just press the crown on the right side and let go:
IMG_0616.jpeg

If I then press and hold the crown on the right side, it looks like this:

IMG_0617.jpeg

If I Press Reset, I pretty quickly get this:

IMG_0618.jpeg

So is the Watch factory reset, or is there something else I should do? I don't see a way to do anything else, actually!

Thank you for your help!

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Hi, I hope you can help me. I am experienced with Macs, iPhones, and iPads, but never had an Apple Watch - yet 😉

My questions is this - my daughter dropped off her old Apple Watch for me to factory reset it, and trade it in for her. Not being experienced with a Watch, I fumbles\d around with it a little - I don't even know what state it was in. I never saw a face with apps etc on it. Maybe she had reset it a while ago? It's a Watch 4 - she got a Watch 9 when they came out.

I do know that now if I put my iPhone near it, it asks to be paired.

This picture is what it looks like (circling through multiple languages) if I just press the crown on the right side and let go:
View attachment 2363639

If I then press and hold the crown on the right side, it looks like this:

View attachment 2363640

If I Press Reset, I pretty quickly get this:

View attachment 2363641

So is the Watch factory reset, or is there something else I should do? I don't see a way to do anything else, actually!

Thank you for your help!
Yes, it’s already un-paired which is the same as factory reset. It’s ready to trade in

Reactions: donawalt

P_Watt

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2018
To be absolutely certain she did remove activation lock she could check her iPhone’s Find My and check it is not in the list of devices locked to her account.

donawalt

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
@P_Watt, you don't mean the devices list in Settings/<tap picture at top> and then a list of devices is on the bottom? On my iPhone, if I go to Settings/<Tap picture>/Find My, I just see Find my iPhone setting on/off, My Location/Share My Location settings, and a list of Friends I am connected to via Find My. There is no device list there?

Last edited:

P_Watt

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2018
2A17865B-FFD3-46D0-BCF6-F55740611096.jpeg
I am talking about her iPhone, Settings, [tap your name], scroll to bottom

Unless I know if you or she have more than one device I do know if it should look like mine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.