Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FaasNat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2002
Home
Hi.

I have some questions on changing my Apple ID with a third party email to an iCloud email address. I saw the article here and the corresponding Apple support doc on changing your Apple ID. However, when I go through and try to change it to an iCloud email I would like, it give me an error saying "You can only add the @icloud.com address that is already on file in your account."

So does this mean I go through setting up a new iCloud account and then go through this method to change my third party email to the one I just set up? I didn't want to go through trying before I checking in here. Didn't want to end up taking the iCloud email I want and then not being able to switch over because I did something incorrect.

Second question on this conversion, if the Apple ID is added to a family plan in iCloud+ and has the photo library uploaded to iCloud, if I'm able to switch this to an iCloud email, will the photos still be there? It's a pretty large library so it would not be possible to download them all a device and then re-upload.

The reason for this switch is now they are interested in using the iCloud mail with their account, but since it's a third party email, it is not compatible.

Thanks!

FaasNat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2002
Home
Update on this topic: After working with Apple, I found the way to create the iCloud email addresss for the account with the third party email. One has to go into their iCloud settings on their iOS device and the turn on the "iCloud Mail" setting. When doing so, it will prompt to create an iCloud email. Select your name and then confirm it (it'll tell you once it's selected, you cannot change it) and then you're good to go.

I did run into one minor hiccup going through this though. I received an error when trying to set up my iCloud email. Support told me to update my iCloud password (for my account with the third party email) and then try again. Doing so got things working. (the reasoning he gave me is that updating the password kind of resets things or sets things up or something with the iCloud account and then the system will work)

jenelemond

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2022
Have you fixed it yet? otherwise, you may try the following...
In modern versions of iOS, iPadOS, and MacOS, whether you are using an iPhone, iPad or a Mac, you can find Apple ID info on the topmost bar in the Settings app. Just tap and go into it, and sign out of the old Apple ID with the third party email. After you’re done, sign in with a new account, this time, with your existing iCloud account or if you don’t have an iCloud account, just create and sign in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.