Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

savingsomemoney

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2021
Folks,

Questions: Storage + Backup + Dock/Hub

After having searched forums, Reddit, online posts and contacting Apple Support, I come to you for an opinion on hardware and workflow.

Hardware:
- I recently got a Mac mini (m1) with 8/256.
- 2019 MacBook Pro 8/512 passed down to spouse.
- 3TB Western Digital HDD which is 10 year old. Partitioned into two - 1 TB for MacBook Pro time machine backup and 2TB for personal storage.
- Tripp-Lite Hub (https://www.tripplite.com/usb-3-1-g...hernet-mem-card-3-5-mm-usb-c-charge~u442dock1)

Usage:
- Most days are spent inside of Chrome, Word, Excel and Mail.
- I do value my photo collection and it will continue to increase. We don't view them often. There are valuable videos as well, but usage is minimal.
- Hardly any music or saved movies.
- Minimal podcasting.

Questions and Concerns:
To save on the costs, I planned to get external storage. And I'm severely confused after going down the rabbit hole - should I get an SSD, HDD, SATA, bus-powered, NVMe, heat issues, enclosure or out-of-the-box, Mac Mini speed issues over TB and USB etc.

(1) Which storage solution according to you would be good knowing my usage? Should I get a separate drive for the time machine and separate for data storage/access?

(2) Since the old drive is 10 year old, and is not SMART compatible, is it time to discard it/not rely on it a lot?

(3) Can I somehow take Time Machine backup on both devices without having to manually connect the MacBook Pro to the drive? Something that can happen in the background and maybe wirelessly?
P.S.: I know Backblaze is an option but I don't plan on subscribing to the service for now. Happy to get a one-time license like CCC. I also considered a NAS, but not technically inclined to configure DNS, VPN and whatnot.

(4) I want to connect additional devices to my Mac mini like a podcasting mic and a camera, keyboard dongle, SSD/HDD. Will the Tripp Lite hub that I mentioned above work, or should I get an OWC/Caldigit dock?

I appreciate your assistance with this.

Thanks!

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
1) HDD - No need to speed extra for SSD for storage use.
2) I would back up that drive right away. At that age, I would deem it unreliable and subject to failure at any time.

3) You can backup wirelessly with TM or CCC. I prefer CCC in this area.

4) I would get a dock as it is much more likely to be able to handle the different needs and inputs. I like OWC.

Reactions: savingsomemoney

savingsomemoney

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2021
1) HDD - No need to speed extra for SSD for storage use.
2) I would back up that drive right away. At that age, I would deem it unreliable and subject to failure at any time.

3) You can backup wirelessly with TM or CCC. I prefer CCC in this area.

4) I would get a dock as it is much more likely to be able to handle the different needs and inputs. I like OWC.
Thanks.

Any recommendations for an HDD?

coolajami

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
1) Short answer is yes: you should always (if possible) to keep your back-up and your work drives separately

For backup purposes try to choose reliable plated HDDs (WD Red or Seagate Lion wolf). In principle you should never use the same hard drive for work and then back-up to the same drive. Ideally you need an HHD for back-up and another for for data storage/access.
So in that case, you can get a HDD for back-up reasons only(See also answer in No 3) and an SSD or HDD (their main difference is their reading/writing speed) for doing your work, that you would then regularly back-up to another drive.

2) If it is 10 years old, it runs in borrowed time, time to retire it. You could still use it for stuff of low importance, like old movies that you'll never see again, but you don't have the heart to delete.

3) Yes, you can do that:
If you're using more than one machines, the ideal scenario is to set-up a NAS system (Network Attached Storage) that could hold at least 2 HDD's and support RAID-1 (that means that the 2nd drive would mirror the main drive, so if one fails, you still have the 2nd with your backups). In that case you could set both machines to back-up regularly, over your home wireless network to the NAS, without the need for connecting/disconnecting any drive to your machines. There are simply NAS system for home office setups that are not that fiddly to set-up, like the WD My Cloud Ex2 Ultra. It can also work as a hard-drive where you can save other stuff as well. I'm using a similar system, and, as long as you set-it up, you can forget about it.

4)You'll need a reliable Thunderbolt 3 Dock. Caldigit and OWC make fairly reliable docks. I wouldn't rely on a simple USB-C dock, as it has significant limitations.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
should I get an SSD, HDD,

Normally an HDD unless there is a reason for an SSD, such as environmental conditions.

the ideal scenario is to set-up a NAS system

You need to figure out your 3-2-1 backup strategy. TM probably should not be one of those 3 backups due to its unreliability.

Some people have had success doing TM NAS backups. I haven't. CCC backups to a NAS work fine although they are not bootable.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
If you're using more than one machines, the ideal scenario is to set-up a NAS system (Network Attached Storage) that could hold at least 2 HDD's and support RAID-1 (that means that the 2nd drive would mirror the main drive, so if one fails, you still have the 2nd with your backups). In that case you could set both machines to back-up regularly, over your home wireless network to the NAS, without the need for connecting/disconnecting any drive to your machines. There are simply NAS system for home office setups that are not that fiddly to set-up, like the WD My Cloud Ex2 Ultra. It can also work as a hard-drive where you can save other stuff as well. I'm using a similar system, and, as long as you set-it up, you can forget about it.

Sorry, but this sounds far from ideal when one of those devices is a desktop computer. It sounds costly - costs which could be better-spent on the drives themselves (see OP's username - @savingsomemoney !!) The mac mini is perfectly capable of sharing a hard drive as a time machine destination for the macbook pro to back up to. It can also back up to a different partition on the same disk.

I currently have two mac minis; each back up to a drive connected to itself and to a drive connected to the other (shared over gigabit ethernet) in rotation. It works flawlessly - and without the unpredictable reliability issues (suddenly being told of the need to start over) that TM backups to basically any brand of NAS seem to lead to.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Wales
My backup is Time machine (hard drive 1) then separate external (hard drive 2) using Carbon Copy Cloner to manage the backups from my main internal drive and at least one hard drive (hard drive 3) kept safe away from the home and backed up quarterly or so.
I have 2 online plans as well. One iCloud (not strictly a backup) and a full versioning backup with another company with zero knowledge.

The hard drives all dangle off the back of the iMac from a single USB through a powered hub and tucked under the desk out the way and out of sight.

Forget which, one Seagate desktop option was painfully slow, I took the HD out the case and put it in a caddy and it flew. Not all powered external cases are the same.

Edit. The Toshiba powered external seems to be quite good, speed wise etc. but the Lacie I have, picked up in a sale, has a seagate in I think?

coolajami

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
Sorry, but this sounds far from ideal when one of those devices is a desktop computer. It sounds costly - costs which could be better-spent on the drives themselves (see OP's username - @savingsomemoney !!) The mac mini is perfectly capable of sharing a hard drive as a time machine destination for the macbook pro to back up to. It can also back up to a different partition on the same disk.

I currently have two mac minis; each back up to a drive connected to itself and to a drive connected to the other (shared over gigabit ethernet) in rotation. It works flawlessly - and without the unpredictable reliability issues (suddenly being told of the need to start over) that TM backups to basically any brand of NAS seem to lead to.

A RAID-1 setup is the ideal home/small office back-up solution, if you have to back-up 2+ computers, regardless the back-up software you're using (TM, CCC, Acronis etc). Most professionals will tell you, that if you getting a RAID system, get it in a form of a NAS, for security reasons, because it can be hidden somewhere in your house. This is not a "that works for me" kind of case. RAID-1 configuration, with or without a NAS, is what almost all the professionals I've know, especially the ones handling sensitive data (photographers, doctors, etc), are using.

What you're describing is, practically, a partial NAS configuration where each of your Apple Minis act as the network controller for the other one. Yes it's cheaper, and you get the benefit to keep your drives on HSF+ file system.

However when I've used a similar setup, the back-up process would affect the CPU and network speed of the computer that the back-up drive was connected to, when the network computers were initiating a backup to that computer. Also, when I've tried that, I got all sort of problems when a drive was accessed both locally and through network at the same time, eg when a TM back-up was initiated from both the local and the network computer in the same time.

Despite all the "scheduling" arrangements to avoid the above problems, I would always run into troubles. I ended up trying to clone the back-up disks physically, with a cloning hub, or by connecting both drives in the same computer and using the CCC. The whole process took ages and was completely counter-intuitive.

A backup workflow should be simple, quick and require minimal effort.

I ended up buying a NAS. I've set it up and I've literally forgot about it. At the beginning I would check the back-up log every few hours, just to make sure that it is working. I upgraded my set-up 2 times since with no problems.if a drive fails you just replace it, and that's it. I don't know why everyone keep saying that NAS have "reliability" issues but I haven't experience one yet.

Last edited:

savingsomemoney

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2021
All great comments above. Let's run some numbers and see if it makes sense. There is also a question of backup disks and the main storage disk to offload data off of the internal SSD. Details below -

My current data stored on the mac mini + MacBook pro internal + the 3TB external HDD(10 yr old) comes to around 1.3TB. I guess I could do backup with a 2TB HDD, but 4 would be ideal. Let me know your thoughts.

Anyway, some additional insights and numbers(Canada) -

1. If I buy one 4TB backup HDD or two 2TB backup disks, the cost is approximately $150.

2. For the main usage (not a backup disk, but a disk with data like photos and documents), I would probably end up buying a 1TB SSD costing $200 (Samsung T5). I could use an HDD for this based on the comment above by @HDFan, but I am not sure if the compromise on speed is worth it for the main disk.

The next question, the bigger one is, what am I using a NAS for?

1. Most of our productive time is spent on a Windows PC(Excel).

2. We have family living in different parts of the world using iPhones but Windows PC. Cheap data but less speed and unreliable internet for them.

3. Already pay for office 365 - get 1TB storage space for Onedrive, only 342 GB used - 200GB is data backed up (part of the 1.3 TB on the external Hard Drive I wrote about earlier).

4. The Synology DS220j Diskless costs $270 plus the cost of disk. I understand the j model is not good enough for photo sharing so I'll have to upgrade to the DS220+ which costs $450. Then I buy disks for say $100. Do you really recommend spending more than the Mac Mini on a NAS?

Finally, there is the $400 expense of getting a powered dock from OWC TB3 pro or Caldigit TS3+. This is also unavoidable from the comments above. Similarly, a SuperDuper or CCC license will cost $45~$55.

In totality,
Fixed expense (Dock + backup software) = $455
External HDD(Backup + data storage) = $350
NAS (Synology + Disks) = $550

The benefit of an external HDD is I don't have to go out and splurge the $350 out in one go. I can start with a 2TB backup disk (if you recommend 2TB for backup) ad another 2TB for data usage.

I've also considered using something like Drive Dock from OWC but isn't making $$$ sense for me.

With this perspective,

Q1. should I still get a NAS? If yes, which one?

Q2. If I should focus on an external HDD for backup, should I get one 4TB to begin with or two 2TB?

Q3. For my storage needs since Mac Mini internal is only for OS and apps, should I get a 1TB SSD T5/T7 for $200 or just get an external HDD? Main storage would be some music, photos, videos, documents and podcasting files.

Thanks again for your patience and help!

coolajami

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
Starting from the last question:

Q3. For my storage needs since Mac Mini internal is only for OS and apps, should I get a 1TB SSD T5/T7 for $200 or just get an external HDD? Main storage would be some music, photos, videos, documents and podcasting files.

Both options will work just fine. You don't need to go for the most expensive SSD though. You can get a Crucial X8 1TB or a Sandisk SSD for almost half the price of the Samsung one. Also you can get good deals in the T5, for about 120$.

Q2. If I should focus on an external HDD for backup, should I get one 4TB to begin with or two 2TB?

That depends what would be your final backup arrangement. If you're looking for an external Desktop HDD for backup that would connect only to your Mac Mini, you don't have to get two separate HDD. You can get a single HDD drive, that is large enough to save the backups of both of your machines.

As @nicho mentioned, you can set the system to get a backup from your Macbook Pro directly to your Back-up drive that connects to your Mac Mini, but that means that the Mac Mini should be powered when that happen, and may effect the network/CPU speed of the Mac Mini. you can schedule it to happen during the night-time though. If you want to reduce the risk having two machines backing-up on the same drive, you can use a second drive to back-up your MB Pro, with the disadvantage that you either have to plug the drive to your laptop for that to happen, or you have to plug it also to your Mini and share it through the network to your MB Pro.

The other option in this category if to look for an integrated solution like the WD My Book Duo, which comes with two HDDs installed and you can either set them to work as independent drives (JBOD) or the one to mirror the other as a backup configuration (RAID-1). It cost about 250$ including 4TB drives (2x2TB drives) but you can find it cheaper on Amazon or other resellers.

NOTE: if you set-up a system as a RAID-1 you would be only able to see the space on the one drive, as the second drive would automatically clone the first one. So if A system advertises that has 4TB of space on 2x2TB drives, in RAID-1 configuration you could access only the one drive of 2TB.

Q1. should I still get a NAS? If yes, which one?

Synology 220+ is a high-end NAS system, and it is costly. You can get the previous model for about 180-200$, or you can get a WD WD My Cloud Ex2 Ultra (body only), for about 120-150$ and add two HDD's yourself. The whole cost could be somewhere between 300-350$.

The benefit of the NAS is that you can place it almost anywhere (as long as there is a power outlet and you can get a LAN cable) and you can set it up to automatically back-up both of your computers at any time, wirelessly. It can also act as a Media Player, long-term storage etc or you can even schedule more complicated tasks, for example to be used as hard-drive for CCTV. Also you can "hide" it somewhere (like in a basement), so you can protect your data in a case of B&E.

As you can see, the price difference between a cheap desktop twin drive back-up system (WD My Book Duo) or a NAS system, is not that much, and you get multiple benefits from a NAS system.

Furthermore, you can set-up the CCC, to copy the most important data, directly to OneDrive.

For example, I've set up a workflow, where, when I download photos from my professional camera to my laptop, it would trigger a process where the images would be automatically separated in JPEG and RAW files, then they would be placed in folders named by the date that the photos taken and then they would be saved automatically in an external drive. This drive would be backed-up automatically on my NAS, plus the folders containing the JPEGs files would be uploaded on the OneDrive. So I would end up having 2 copies of the RAW image files and 3 copies of the JPEG files in 3 different back-up mediums, automatically.

So to recap for the costs:
1. SSD +/- desktop HDD: ~150$ for an SSD only. You can skip the external HDD's for back-up only if you're planning to get a NAS or a Desktop backup system. You can always get a cheap 4TB desktop HDD for about 80-90$ that could connect directly to your Mac Mini, if it is what you want.

2. Dock + backup software: 400$-450$ (you may want to check the free backup software options. For many people the Time Machine is enough).

3. Backup System: 250$-350$ (Depending if you choose a NAS system or not, and what type of HDD you get) . You can scrap the whole cost here, if you're happy to use a simple desktop HDD as a backup solution (as per Q2) and you're not interested in configuration for automatic redundancy (I don't recommend that, but it's your money and data).

Whatever you choose to do, my main point is:
ALWAYS back-up your back-ups.

Last edited:

coolajami

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
This is a horrible point.

Always maintain multiple independent backups.

While I agree, I wouldn't phrase it this way, because it can be confusing (and also it does not rime :p).

It can be interpreted in various ways and someone may end up having problems of consistency between their different backups (That is even more horrible situation), and when disaster hits, you may end-up not knowing what is saved and what is lost.

As I wrote before, a backup solution should be simple, quick and require minimal effort (I would add also efficient).

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
No ssd as that is overkill for backups. Either get two backup drives and run Carbon Copy Cloner. This way you will have bootable backups. or go with a NAS running a Raid 1 configuration. This way if one of the drives fail you still have a good backup. You can also run CCC on a NAS.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
go with a NAS running a Raid 1 configuration. This way if one of the drives fail you still have a good backup.

Disagreed. Backups can fail for more reasons than drive failure. Rotating backups would be preferable, as if the backup corrupts there's still another shot.

savingsomemoney

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2021
Starting from the last question:

Both options will work just fine. You don't need to go for the most expensive SSD though. You can get a Crucial X8 1TB or a Sandisk SSD for almost half the price of the Samsung one. Also you can get good deals in the T5, for about 120$.

That depends what would be your final backup arrangement. If you're looking for an external Desktop HDD for backup that would connect only to your Mac Mini, you don't have to get two separate HDD. You can get a single HDD drive, that is large enough to save the backups of both of your machines.

As @nicho mentioned, you can set the system to get a backup from your Macbook Pro directly to your Back-up drive that connects to your Mac Mini, but that means that the Mac Mini should be powered when that happen, and may effect the network/CPU speed of the Mac Mini. you can schedule it to happen during the night-time though. If you want to reduce the risk having two machines backing-up on the same drive, you can use a second drive to back-up your MB Pro, with the disadvantage that you either have to plug the drive to your laptop for that to happen, or you have to plug it also to your Mini and share it through the network to your MB Pro.

The other option in this category if to look for an integrated solution like the WD My Book Duo, which comes with two HDDs installed and you can either set them to work as independent drives (JBOD) or the one to mirror the other as a backup configuration (RAID-1). It cost about 250$ including 4TB drives (2x2TB drives) but you can find it cheaper on Amazon or other resellers.

NOTE: if you set-up a system as a RAID-1 you would be only able to see the space on the one drive, as the second drive would automatically clone the first one. So if A system advertises that has 4TB of space on 2x2TB drives, in RAID-1 configuration you could access only the one drive of 2TB.

Synology 220+ is a high-end NAS system, and it is costly. You can get the previous model for about 180-200$, or you can get a WD WD My Cloud Ex2 Ultra (body only), for about 120-150$ and add two HDD's yourself. The whole cost could be somewhere between 300-350$.

The benefit of the NAS is that you can place it almost anywhere (as long as there is a power outlet and you can get a LAN cable) and you can set it up to automatically back-up both of your computers at any time, wirelessly. It can also act as a Media Player, long-term storage etc or you can even schedule more complicated tasks, for example to be used as hard-drive for CCTV. Also you can "hide" it somewhere (like in a basement), so you can protect your data in a case of B&E.

As you can see, the price difference between a cheap desktop twin drive back-up system (WD My Book Duo) or a NAS system, is not that much, and you get multiple benefits from a NAS system.

Furthermore, you can set-up the CCC, to copy the most important data, directly to OneDrive.

For example, I've set up a workflow, where, when I download photos from my professional camera to my laptop, it would trigger a process where the images would be automatically separated in JPEG and RAW files, then they would be placed in folders named by the date that the photos taken and then they would be saved automatically in an external drive. This drive would be backed-up automatically on my NAS, plus the folders containing the JPEGs files would be uploaded on the OneDrive. So I would end up having 2 copies of the RAW image files and 3 copies of the JPEG files in 3 different back-up mediums, automatically.

So to recap for the costs:
1. SSD +/- desktop HDD: ~150$ for an SSD only. You can skip the external HDD's for back-up only if you're planning to get a NAS or a Desktop backup system. You can always get a cheap 4TB desktop HDD for about 80-90$ that could connect directly to your Mac Mini, if it is what you want.

2. Dock + backup software: 400$-450$ (you may want to check the free backup software options. For many people the Time Machine is enough).

3. Backup System: 250$-350$ (Depending if you choose a NAS system or not, and what type of HDD you get) . You can scrap the whole cost here, if you're happy to use a simple desktop HDD as a backup solution (as per Q2) and you're not interested in configuration for automatic redundancy (I don't recommend that, but it's your money and data).

Whatever you choose to do, my main point is:
ALWAYS back-up your back-ups.
Just wanted to reach out again and thank you.
Here's my approach and also clarification.

1. I ordered the Caldigit TS3+. Thought of going for the OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock for the slim profile and OWC support but there are more positive reviews for Caldigit than the OWC. Also know fairly well TS3+ might be on its way out being replaced by TB4, but the need for a dock is today.

2. Backup Software: I purchased CCC. I will turn off Time Machine once I have a few snapshots from CCC.

3. Backup disk situation: I got a Toshiba Canvio Ready 4TB for $115. Was the cheapest 4TB disk I could find. I will have three partitions for this. 1 for the Mac Mini, 1 for Macbook pro, and 1 to specifically backup the external drive I have that's on life-support(more below). I know this will be my only snapshot. I also know CCC doesn't upload to OneDrive for which I pay. It's a small risk I take today.

4. 10-yr old disk: As mentioned earlier, the ageing 3TB WD disk was partitioned in two, 1TB for Time Machine and 2TB for data. I will eventually remove the Time Machine data and have a single partition with all my data in the 3TB drive. It should occupy approximately 1.2TB of HDD space. Now this drive will be continuously backed up to the 4TB new disk on a separate partition. In case this go south, I will have a data snapshot.

Future: I like the idea of NAS, but I neither have the time today to invest in setting it up nor the disposable income to spend on it. I'm in a much better position spending $100 today on the 4TB HDD mentioned above and can buy the NAS even at sticker price if required in the future.

Still Wondering: The conversation of this thread was great, but did not address one question. If I need to use an external disk as an extension for storage needs and use it as a Photo Library or Music Library, I should've opted for an SSD. We neither discussed read-write speeds, M1 limitations, enclosures/T5/T7 etc. So for now, I'll continue to use the 3TB WD for the purposes of photos and music (knowing it will cause so much pain that the M1 will probably not be worth it). As needs grow, an SSD upgrade or a NAS might be on the cards.

Big thank you to @Apple_Robert , @coolajami , @nicho @firedept and @HDFan for inputs.

Reactions: coolajami

coolajami

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
If you stick with a single external disk for all your backups, think about getting another a cheap internal SATA disk same size or bigger than the one you got (a 4TB internal SATA HHD comes around US $80) and a cloning hub like the following:

You can then clone your back-up disk on another disk so you can have two copies of the same backup (not ideal solution, ideally the backup software should copy the actual files in the different versions of your backups) but it is better than nothing, it is dirty cheap and it can be done without a computer involved.

FYI, in case you find interesting, I'm using the application Hazel, to set-up back-up workflows. It's a useful multitool and One of the reasons I'm using it personally is to copy stuff to OneDrive.

Hope that helps.

savingsomemoney

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2021
If you stick with a single external disk for all your backups, think about getting another a cheap internal SATA disk same size or bigger than the one you got (a 4TB internal SATA HHD comes around US $80) and a cloning hub like the following:

You can then clone your back-up disk on another disk so you can have two copies of the same backup (not ideal solution, ideally the backup software should copy the actual files in the different versions of your backups) but it is better than nothing, it is dirty cheap and it can be done without a computer involved.
^^ Hmmm, I got my 4TB Toshiba for $110. I don't know how the above is different (I'll end up spending same/more). So could get the same disk and make CCC do the copying to the second disk too.

FYI, in case you find interesting, I'm using the application Hazel, to set-up back-up workflows. It's a useful multitool and One of the reasons I'm using it personally is to copy stuff to OneDrive.

Hope that helps.
^^ This - beauty. I almost feel like slipping into your DM's or just host a podcast/screencast with you. I've got to hop onto the Hazel train.

And I believe you would also have a good photo management workflow :D ?

coolajami

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
^^ Hmmm, I got my 4TB Toshiba for $110. I don't know how the above is different (I'll end up spending same/more). So could get the same disk and make CCC do the copying to the second disk too.

Thant's a good plan as well. Whatever works for you, it may just feel a bit more work.

^^ This - beauty. I almost feel like slipping into your DM's or just host a podcast/screencast with you. I've got to hop onto the Hazel train.

And I believe you would also have a good photo management workflow :D ?

Lol, that would be interesting! are you running regular podcasts or you just started setting up your gig?

Photography workflow is like a massive topic by itself, so you may want to be a bit more specific. Literally people are writing book on this and following college courses!

If you're looking for a photo management database I can suggest you the Mylio app, that in its free plan gives you the ability to manage up to 5.000 photos and use your database up to 3 devices with no other restrictions apart from RAW editing. That is more than enough for an average user, if you keep a reasonably well organised photo collection.
If you're looking for their full plan, do not subscribe immediately and wait till they make you a good offer, usually they come around and offer you something like 1 year half price or something similar.

Most amazingly you can connect your OneDrive so it could automatically upload the photos you enter in Mylio's database.

So, in summary, my workflow looks like this:
Download photos to my computers drive -> Hazel kicks in and separate photos to different folders etc -> photos would be copied to the NAS, the local back-up drive and OneDrive.

When I go around and start cleaning up photos, I'll upload the good ones to Mylio (you can also do some basic editing in it) and its database again would be save in the NAS, 2nd drive and One Drive.

If you have Amazon Prime, you can use Amazon Drive for storing your photos instead of One Drive (or you can use both for redundancy!), as it's offers unlimited storage for photo uploads, including RAW images, which is insanely cool.

Also, try to stay away from Adobe, except if you really really in need any of its products; The pricing of is extortionately expensive and it would do its outmost for locking you in its ecosystem (sound like Apple :p). Usually you can find good alternatives for a fraction of the cost.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

savingsomemoney

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2021
If you're looking for a photo management database I can suggest you the Mylio app, that in its free plan gives you the ability to manage up to 5.000 photos and use your database up to 3 devices with no other restrictions apart from RAW editing. That is more than enough for an average user, if you keep a reasonably well organised photo collection.
If you're looking for their full plan, do not subscribe immediately and wait till they make you a good offer, usually they come around and offer you something like 1 year half price or something similar.

Most amazingly you can connect your OneDrive so it could automatically upload the photos you enter in Mylio's database.
@coolajami Why do you use Mylio instead of the native Photos app? I'm curious because -
(1) Photos has the benefit of system integration
(2) You're the only one who has suggested Mylio - and it looks good!

coolajami

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
@coolajami Why do you use Mylio instead of the native Photos app? I'm curious because -
(1) Photos has the benefit of system integration
(2) You're the only one who has suggested Mylio - and it looks good!

There is no a right and wrong answer in this question, everything depend from what you want to do and if you like to spend money on this or not.

The integrated Photos app is generally fine for saving a small number of photos from your iPhone etc, but if you’re using it for managing a large collection of photos is particularly restrictive:
you have to use space to a storage device that, practically, should be permanently attached to your Mac, or the internal storage of your Mac computer; it cannot work with NAS and any Cloud storage apart from the iCloud; it does not work well with RAW images (very important for me) or 3rd party software like Lightroom. Also, if you decide in favour of iCloud integration, you can not choose what part of your database you’ll share in the iCloud, it’s an all or nothing situation (I think? haven't used it except from a brief period).

By comparison, Mylio works well with most Cloud and NAS drives and you have many choices for selecting how to set-up your backup and syncs, so you can choose which files to keep locally and which to save online, you can make backups easily, you can build a new folder structure or you can use your existing one very easily. You can also make numerous different virtual folders where you can save the same pictures without duplicating, based on geolocation/date/tags etc, so you can keep different catalogues of the same photos (Photos App can do that also I believe, but not as well). Most importantly (for me) you can keep all your files locally and you can save online only the folders/files you want and keep the rest locally. Simply put is more versatile than the Photos App.

On the downside, there is an extra subscription cost, except if you manage to keep the use within the free tier.

As I said, everything depends on what you are looking for. If you just want to organise photos from a couple of iPhones, the Photos App is a fine choice, just set up the TimeMachine to save the database from time to time.

Most of the Pro Photographers I know they’re using a combination of Lightroom/Backblaze/NAS system for storing and backing up their photos. I’m not a Pro Photographer, but I’m doing a lot of photography for professional reasons that needs to be stored safely and securely. Mylio was the best option I found (and I've tried a lot) to manage a local database with a lot of options to save into cloud only part of it, something that is not available in Photos App or Google photos.

I made also a comment to the other thread. if you're looking for free options, Adobe Bridge is free and may cover most your needs (I don't like Adobe, but that's just me).Not as versatile as Mylio, it is generally considered the poor little brother of Adobe Lightroom, but still it's a good option.

Generally I'm pretty happy with Mylio, but I have to confess that I've adapted Mylio when they were offering management of up to 25K of photos in their Free Tier, so that made my choice easy!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.