Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
Quick Question..

If i have LESS phone numbers on my computer address book than what is on my phone, if i sync my iphone, will it just add what i dont have and keep what i already do have on the iphone, or will it erase ALL of the contacts on my phone and just put the few that are on my CPU??

I am kinda confused about this

I need quick help because i am in the middle of trying to do my husbands phone and dont want to loose his work contacts

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
On OS X, a "real sync" will be performed, meaning the newest information from both devices (iPhone and computer) will be merged and used on both. So yes, your phone contacts will be fine.

Depending on how many contacts we're talking about, you might be asked to confirm the sync (details of what would happen will be shown)

On Windows, who knows :0

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
The contacts i had on my Nokia 6300 were different to the ones on my MBP, about 100 each. It asked me to confirm i want to do it and it merged the two sets of contacts and synced them to both MBP and phone. absolutely fantastic.i was very nervous while it did it.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
When you sync it will ask if you want to merge or replace the contacts.

Select merge. You may get double address a few times but just delete one of the duplicates and then sync and all will balance out.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
thanks guys. I did it and it worked BEAUTIFULLY. unfortunately my hubby has a bunch of numbers i dont need, and visa versa, but all the key phone contacts are there.

We do have OSX on that cpu.

Now if i wanted to sync it to my work cpu too, would that cause an issue? Its a PC

msmith2112

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2002
Wirelessly posted (8Gb iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

make a group for each of you and only sync your group to your phone.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
thanks guys. I did it and it worked BEAUTIFULLY. unfortunately my hubby has a bunch of numbers i dont need, and visa versa, but all the key phone contacts are there.

We do have OSX on that cpu.

Now if i wanted to sync it to my work cpu too, would that cause an issue? Its a PC

You can only sync the iPhone to one computer for Calender/Contacts and the same or different computer for music/video media. If you sync the iPhone with your work computer then it will overwright everything on your iPhone with what is on your work computer. Hope that helps.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
thanks SFC archer. I am thinking that i MIGHT just overwrite what is on there now to get all my work contacts onto my iphone.. I dont have many personal contacts that I can not just manually put them in on my own.. And i figure if they are good enough friends, theyw ill call me first and i can just save them :)

Anyways, thanks for the tip on GROUPS. that will actually help us a lot. This way he doesnt have all my work contacts and i dont have ALL of his friends that he hasnt seen in 10 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.