Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Does anyone know of a plugin that enables Quick Look to preview/support .eps (and possibly .ai) files?
Free or cheap would be extrasuperawesome : )

Any help would be much appreciated.

(Must work on Apple Silicon + Monterey)

Reactions: benwiggy

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
You can try this old quicklook plugin.

Thanks for the tip, MacGizmo. Tried it. Unfortunately it has no effect, once installed. (Tweeted the developer to kindly ask for an Apple Silicon/Monterey-compatible version...).

Boggles my mind that this is not a very common, much used Quick Look plugin.
.eps files are very, very common for people working within design, advertising etc.

Also super strange that Adobe has not developed Quick Look plugins themselves (to support eps, ai, indd, idml etc from Adobe CC). Quick Look'ing is just so super helpful.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
.ai files are, to my knowledge, supported natively by macOS Quick Look – so you should be able to see them already. I can see .eps files, but only recently saved ones. I have no explanation as to why that is, but I agree that both formats should be built-in.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
Up north

Thanks for the tip, but Peek will unfortunately not work for eps and ai.
From the link you provided:

Peek is unable to work with plain text documents (.txt,.text), rich text (.rtf, .rtfd), HTML/XML/web archives (.html, .xml***,.webarchive), TypeScript (.ts), Adobe suite (.pdf, .eps***), Microsoft Office (.csv,.doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .ppt, .pptx), OpenDocument suite (.odt, .ods, .odp), nor any Apple iWork documents (.pages, .numbers, .key).

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
The awesome developer John Daniel from Etresoft, was kind enough to send me a zip of EPSView. That worked perfect for me – with Quick Look being able to preview eps-files again (M1 Pro on Monterey).
So happy for this! Once again, thank you John.

For all those of you who are having the same issue, here is a link for EPSView:

(Do a restart after installing).

Reactions: benwiggy and f329

SlowMotn

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2014
Thanks for the tip, but Peek will unfortunately not work for eps and ai.
From the link you provided:

Peek is unable to work with plain text documents (.txt,.text), rich text (.rtf, .rtfd), HTML/XML/web archives (.html, .xml***,.webarchive), TypeScript (.ts), Adobe suite (.pdf, .eps***), Microsoft Office (.csv,.doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .ppt, .pptx), OpenDocument suite (.odt, .ods, .odp), nor any Apple iWork documents (.pages, .numbers, .key).
Thats weird. I'm not sure why it states it doesn't work with EPS. I am using it with EPSes all day today and it works 99% of the time on EPS files. Feel free to contact the developer, I'm a random person, so why trust me? But I paid 7 bucks for it on the app store and think its worth it for EPS alone.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I tried Peek. It didn't work with anything for me. I'll try EPSView (I could swear I tried it in the past and it didn't work either).

flybynight

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2002
The awesome developer John Daniel from Etresoft, was kind enough to send me a zip of EPSView. That worked perfect for me – with Quick Look being able to preview eps-files again (M1 Pro on Monterey).
So happy for this! Once again, thank you John.

For all those of you who are having the same issue, here is a link for EPSView:

(Do a restart after installing).
Thanks! EPSView worked for me. No restart needed, either!

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Reactions: flybynight
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.