Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
When running on battery it rarely goes beyond 50 C, even with a million apps open.

However when running on AC it easily gets around 68 C, which I find weird. Is this normal, that the laptop gets hotter when running on AC?

Edit: Argh, I though I was in the help forum... Someone move this please?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Jiddick ExRex said:
When running on battery it rarely goes beyond 50 C, even with a million apps open.

However when running on AC it easily gets around 68 C, which I find weird. Is this normal, that the laptop gets hotter when running on AC?

Edit: Argh, I though I was in the help forum... Someone move this please?

When running off the battery, if you haven't set the energy preferences to "Better Performance" it will drop the speed of the processor to about half the stated speed. This would probably be the reason.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
If you go into System preferences -> Hardware -> Energy Saver and look at the Processor Performance under the options of Settings for Power Adapter and Battery respectively, you'll probably find that on Power Adapter the Processor Performance is set to Highest and on Battery the setting is Reduced (to save energy).

Edit: Way too slow... ;)

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
My MacBook does the same. It runs slightly hot in the corner around the powersupply when plugged in, yet is cool allover when running on battery.:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.