Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 18, 2004
I'm wondering if I can take the Super Drive out of my Power Mac G4 and put it in my Mac Pro. I'd like to have two dvd burners in it for the time being until Blu-Ray burners come down in price; this is why I don't want to spend the extra cash and purchase a second Super Drive for the Mac Pro.

So, can this be done? I have a feeling there will be a size difference because to my knowledge the Quick Silver was the first Mac to have a dvd burner, and I think they were quite large back then...

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
I'm wondering if I can take the Super Drive out of my Power Mac G4 and put it in my Mac Pro. I'd like to have two dvd burners in it for the time being until Blu-Ray burners come down in price; this is why I don't want to spend the extra cash and purchase a second Super Drive for the Mac Pro.

So, can this be done? I have a feeling there will be a size difference because to my knowledge the Quick Silver was the first Mac to have a dvd burner, and I think they were quite large back then...

-Redneck

Size/shape isn't the issue with installing the Optical from a Quicksilver to a Mac Pro - the bus is. Mac Pros run SATA busses, whereas the Quicksilver is PATA. Essentially, you are dealing with a square peg, round hole issue.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Umm... what? The optical drive in the MP is PATA. Basically any run of the mill superdrive will fit in, and you should be able to plug it in. Yes, the HD's have SATA conectors built into the motherboard, but the optical drive still uses that good old black ATA cable.

Attachments

• 04-optical-s.jpg
    04-optical-s.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 80

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Umm... what? The optical drive in the MP is PATA. Basically any run of the mill superdrive will fit in, and you should be able to plug it in. Yes, the HD's have SATA conectors built into the motherboard, but the optical drive still uses that good old black ATA cable.

-Lovesong

Oh! Well then, nevermind redneck! My bad!

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 18, 2004

Thanks for the help and the picture! Is it hard to install a second optical drive in the Mac Pro? :)

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Easy as pie. If your Superdrive has that sort of plastic face on the end of the tray, you're going to have to snap it off (it's designed to come off) so that it will fit through the door on the Mac Pro's case. But since it's coming from a Quicksilver it probably doesn't.

AFAIK optical drives have remained the same physical size for a very long time now.

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 18, 2004
Okay I removed the optical drive from the Quick Silver today. I don't need any cables or anything, right? Everything I need to hook this optical drive up is in the Mac Pro already, correct?

aliasbdi

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2007
I'm trying to add an additional superdrive that I purchased. How do you get the side open like in the picture above so that I can install the superdrive?

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Instructions should have come with your Mac. If not then go here and download either of the instructions about the optical drive. Both tell you how to get the carrier out so you can put in a second drive.

You might need the screws from the optical drive but that is it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.