Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evilrt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
New Jersey USA
Line 1 - iPhone 5 unlimited
Line 2 - iPhone 5 unlimited
Line 3 - Nokia dumb phone

They are all upgrade eligible. Can I go into Apple and purchase the 5S subsidized using the dumb phones eligibility, never call Verizon to activate it, and then simply take a micro sim out of line 1 and start using the 5S as if nothing happened? I'm assuming the dumb phone would start a new 2 year regardless. Thanks.

Edit: nano sim... Thanks, Swish

Last edited:

swish2351

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
Michigan
Verizon does not use micro sim...

But, yes, you can use a different phone line's upgrade to upgrade another phone, just make sure you tell the Verizon rep this is what you are doing, I also have an extra dumb phone on my line so I can get an upgrade in case my phone breaks or something :p

Last edited:

evilrt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
New Jersey USA
Thanks, but my goal is to do this without any Verizon rep intervention. I just want to get the 5S from the Apple store, bring the phone home, swap the sim, and hook the phone up to the Mac and let the magic happen.

Last edited:

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
I'm pretty sure the ESN must be activated through VZW's system in order for you to use it. You can simply switch/activate device through online account management if you want to avoid speaking with a live rep. But I'm assuming the only reason you're doing this is to keep your unlimited data, so speaking with a live rep might be in your best interest to make sure the device change does not change your unlimited data.

What you're trying to accomplish is possible with GSM carriers, aka SIM swap without having to contact the provider.

swish2351

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
Michigan
Thanks, but my goal is to do this without any Verizon rep intervention. I just want to get the 5S from the Apple store, bring the phone home, swap the sim, and hook the phone up to the Mac and let the magic happen.

There is no sim, Verizon does not use any type of sim, you need to speak to a live rep in order to do what you want to do.

They transfer phones over their system, not through a physical sim card

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
There is no sim, Verizon does not use any type of sim, you need to speak to a live rep in order to do what you want to do.

They transfer phones over their system, not through a physical sim card

every lte phone on verizon uses a sim. in the iphone 5's case, it's a nano sim.

evilrt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
New Jersey USA
Damn. Ok. I thought that last year I was able to bring both iPhones home on launch day and activate them both without calling in or logging on to Verizon. I guess I remembered wrong.

Edit: now I'm getting different answers from another source. I'll just wait and see if or what develops here...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.