Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blizeH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Hi all,

I was just wondering what the quickest/easiest way is to sync all of my photos between the iPhone and iPad? So for example, if we go on a day trip somewhere and I take photos on my phone, then we got home we could view them at night easily on the iPad, or similar.

Photostream is okay, but only showing photos from the last 30 days makes it pretty useless for us unfortunately.

Dropbox looks good, but has a 2GB limit, and then requires using a third party app like Picbox.

Is there any easy way of doing this that I've overlooked?

Thanks

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
This is exactly what photo stream is for????

You can move photos from photo stream into your camera roll to keep them forever. Isn't that what you want to do?

blizeH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Thanks, I guess that's an okay solution, but I was wondering if I could almost get my 'Camera roll' on the phone to be exactly mirrored across the iPhone, iPad and preferably our PC and Macbook too.

Photostream's 30 day limit isn't ideal for this, and you can't grab existing photos from your camera roll to put onto it can you?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
What's wrong with syncing your photos to iPad / iPhone using iTunes? Put the same pictures on all your iDevices, then use photostream going forward. Every time pictures disappear because of the 30-day time limit, sync again with your computer through iTunes to get them back.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
Ah yes i see what you mean

As last posted suggested, sync using iTunes to get everything up to date, then use photo stream to add in any pictures as you go. Which will probably be less than 100 at any given time.

You can even login to your account at iCloud.com and reset the photo stream to start a fresh after syncing all devices up using iTunes.

blizeH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Many thanks guys, it's a good solution - not ideal, but preferable to having to use external apps and Dropbox, no doubt :)

dickdaney

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2009
Use the iPad camera connection kit. Plug your phone directly into your iPad and sync whatever photos you want.

blizeH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
Many thanks, but that's essentially paying £25 for a USB converter! Also if possible I'd love to do it wirelessly, so the photostream option is a good shout.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Use the iPad camera connection kit. Plug your phone directly into your iPad and sync whatever photos you want.

1+ for the camera kit! All you have to do is choose which photos you want and boom your done!

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
You really should list out all of your requirements in the OP rather than just shoot down suggestions as they come in. Are there any other requirements that you've overlooked? To summarize so far:

• "quick"
  • "easy" (subjective)
  • sync all of my photos between the iPhone and iPad/exactly mirrored across the iPhone, iPad and preferably our PC and Macbook
  • no 30 day limit (is any time limit acceptable?)
  • no 2GB limit (is any data limit acceptable?)
  • no third party app
  • no additional hardware? (in reference to the complaint about the camera connection kit)
  • wireless preferable

blizeH

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2009
You're right, sorry, I wasn't very clear with the OP. But I do appreciate all of the replies and I think photostream is my best option. I may try Dropbox with Picbox too, as an alternative, and see which suits me better.

Thanks again

Wblakewright

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2011
Utah
What's wrong with syncing your photos to iPad / iPhone using iTunes? Put the same pictures on all your iDevices, then use photostream going forward. Every time pictures disappear because of the 30-day time limit, sync again with your computer through iTunes to get them back.

Why do you have a 30-day limit? That's not a photostream issue. Mine doesn't have a time limit. Just a 1000 photo limit.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
This doesn't meet your requirements but here's how we look at our photos:

I've got one computer set up using "Imagebank Server". It has access to a folder with all of our photos (in subfolders) as well as the Photostream folder for new photos. I clean up the Photostream folder manually to get things organized in the other folder.

I use Imagebank (99 cents) on iOS devices to peruse all of my photos from anywhere I'm connected, using a dynamic DNS service or just the local network when at home.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Why do you have a 30-day limit? That's not a photostream issue. Mine doesn't have a time limit. Just a 1000 photo limit.

http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/photo-stream.html

1000 of your latest photos. With you all the time.
iCloud manages your Photo Stream efficiently so you don’t run out of storage space on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. If you have Photo Stream enabled on your iOS device, every single photo you take appears in a special Photo Stream album that holds your last 1000 photos. You can delete any photos you don’t want from the Photo Stream.1 To touch up a photo or keep a favorite shot permanently, simply save it to your Camera Roll. iCloud stores new photos for 30 days, so you have plenty of time to connect your iOS device to Wi-Fi and make sure you always have your most recent shots handy.

Egish

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2011
Salem, OR
There are many services that can be used I suppose...... I use Microsoft SkyDrive.... Works easy.... Syncs instantly between both phone and pad

Loremaster101

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
This is ridicolous!!!

You "should" be able to Sync your photos through Itunes, the problem with that is Itunes wants to wipe your device for the Initial Sync, this has been a problem for YEARS!!!! It's also a problem if you want to Sync with more than one computer (most households have more than one)...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.