Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
What's the quickest and easiest way to create a bare-bones HTML document containing just a list of links to other websites.
I'm hoping for something similar to the editor used right here when posting in this forum, which would mean just entering the website's title, select it, then enter the URL (or better yet -select it, right-click on it and enter the URL).

it wasnt me

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2019
the internet, mostly
HTML:
<!doctype html>
<html>
<head>
<script src="https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/linkifyjs@4.1.1/dist/linkify.min.js"></script>
<script src="https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/linkify-element@4.1.1/dist/linkify-element.min.js"></script>
</head>
<body>
<pre id="links">

<!-- YOUR LINKS GO HERE... -->

- www.foo.bar
- https://quux.org

</pre>
<script type="text/javascript">
linkifyElement(document.getElementById("links"), {}, document);
</script>
</body>
</html>

Just an automatically linked list. You can add any text wherever you like. Can't be much easier than that.

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Cool! I just tried it, and indeed it's a quick way to add lots of links (but without any titles in the links). This would suffice if I didn't need any descriptive text, but of course that wouldn't make it that easy to add links.

I searched the web for more solutions and came across Seamonkey which has a built-in WYSIWYG editor. Actually I had used it many, many years ago but thought it was completely outdated these days. To my surprise it's still being supported! So with Seamonkey it looks like I can whip up a simple HTML document and probably copy/paste all my links, then right-click on each one to add the descriptive titles.

it wasnt me

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2019
the internet, mostly
This would suffice if I didn't need any descriptive text, but of course that wouldn't make it that easy to add links.

You can add any text anywhere inside the <pre>. Linkify will only link... well, links.

I searched the web for more solutions and came across Seamonkey which has a built-in WYSIWYG editor.

A direct descendant of the original Netscape Communicator, by the way.

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
You can add any text anywhere inside the <pre>. Linkify will only link... well, links.
Huh? I meant text descriptions/titles for the links, so that would be shown instead of just the URL. I couldn't get that to work, but perhaps you just meant to add text in general.

Regardless, it occured to me that even though I can't do that the document you posted can greatly aid in quickly adding many links in a two step process:

1) copy/paste all the URLs I need into the automated linked list you posted in post #2.
2) import the the same HTML document into a WYSIWYG editor (such as Seamoneky) to right-click the URLs in order to change the URL link text from just the URLs to whatever title or description I need.

A direct descendant of the original Netscape Communicator, by the way.

Yes, I remember those days! I used used Navigator a lot, but moved over to Seamonkey when it came out because it was an "all in one" package.

LibreOffice is decent for this.

Really? I didn't know it could handle HTML files.

Reactions: it wasnt me
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.