Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
I frequently find myself wanting to be able to sample a color on a web page, in Safari, and find out what hex value it is. Is there a little application or extension that would allow me to do this?

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
That gives me RGB values, but not a 6-digit web-safe Hex value, which is what I'm looking for.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
That gives me RGB values, but not a 6-digit web-safe Hex value, which is what I'm looking for.

The grey band in the advertisement in the bottom right corner of this image is F0EEE8...

Attachments

• Hex Value.png
    Hex Value.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 11,401

HomeBru Studios

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2008
I use Safari's developer menu, so I just right click on the page component I want to investigate, select "Inspect Element" from the context menu, then look in the developer panel's "Computed Style" for the color/background-color. You can also choose to view color values as Hex, RGB or HSL.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Where? I don't see any such option.
The option was there, pretty much in plain sight, some 7 OS X versions ago or so in 2010 at the previous post...

If you're using a more-recent OS X version, the current app version's display options are in the View Menu, under "Display Options" and selected in the pulldown menu. It'll be maybe in a different location in 6-8 years or so...

Cancelled
Jul 7, 2016
The option was there, pretty much in plain sight, some 7 OS X versions ago or so in 2010 at the previous post...

If you're using a more-recent OS X version, the current app version's display options are in the View Menu, under "Display Options" and selected in the pulldown menu. It'll be maybe in a different location in 6-8 years or so...
I don't understand what menus you are referring to..

Reactions: kohlson

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
In 10.11.5, in the View menu at the top of the screen, select Display Values - As Hex

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL

Hex colors are not the same thing as the antique "web safe color" concept. Web safe colors are those that display reliably in 256 color indexed color images. Hex color notation (representing the color value in an 8bpp image using hexadecimal, base-16, numbers) can represent some 16 million colors just as the decimal RGB notation can.

I use Safari's developer menu, so I just right click on the page component I want to investigate, select "Inspect Element" from the context menu, then look in the developer panel's "Computed Style" for the color/background-color. You can also choose to view color values as Hex, RGB or HSL.

+1 - I do it this way, though usually in the equivalent mode in Firefox.

Cancelled
Jul 7, 2016
I can understand your confusion. The menus are in the Digital Color Meter app, from the Utilities folder.
And, still the same in 10.12
It seemingly displays hex value split pint three lines with some letters preceding each piece of the code. Is there a way to have in one place?
[doublepost=1468276431][/doublepost]here

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-11 at 18.32.37.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-11 at 18.32.37.png
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,180

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
It seemingly displays hex value split pint three lines with some letters preceding each piece of the code. Is there a way to have in one place?

If you need to copy the hex value to use somewhere else, use the keyboard shortcut Shift+Command+C to copy the color value as text (then Command+V to paste it wherever you want—see the Color menu). It'll strip out the bits you don't need and add a leading hash tag.

Reactions: kennyeliason

kennyeliason

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2022
If you need to copy the hex value to use somewhere else, use the keyboard shortcut Shift+Command+C to copy the color value as text (then Command+V to paste it wherever you want—see the Color menu). It'll strip out the bits you don't need and add a leading hash tag.
This right here is the golden ticket for the Digital Color Picker. Otherwise unusable without knowing this keyboard shortcut. Thank you! 6+ years later! ha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.