Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Every time I open up finder and try to preview a video or pic it locks Finder and I have to force quit. This happens every time...any suggestions?

Last edited:

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
some ideas:

try moving the quicklook plists to the desktop (in users>home>library>preferences); there should be 2 or 3 files.
reboot, see if that helps.

run disk first aid?

google the issue?

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
some ideas:

try moving the quicklook plists to the desktop (in users>home>library>preferences); there should be 2 or 3 files.
reboot, see if that helps.

run disk first aid?

google the issue?

Weird....not seeing those in that spot.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
make sure you're in the (usually hidden) user preferences.
and look for the 2 or 3 files like this:

com.apple.quicklook.satellite.plist

Saw com.apple.quicklookconfig.plist and com.apple.quicklookdaemon.plist and moved both to desktop...rebooted and issue still exists...ran verify disk and verify disk utilities and repaired a couple of small things...issue still exists. I will keep digging on this...Thanks for your help.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I've heard that Quicklook can have trouble with some files. If that's the case, what a PITA trying to figure out which one it is as it's not necessarily the one that's currently being viewed when the crash occurs.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
you've rebooted? (of course?). does it ONLY happen with videos and pics? are you using flip4mac by any chance?

I did have that app installed but not sure where it came from...Deleted it and will reboot to see how it impacts my system. It happens with any pic or video but only with quicklook. Wonder if installing Yosemite would overwrite any of the files causing this issue?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
look in Hard Drive>Library>Quicktime. do you have the flip4mac components there? try moving them to the desktop (make sure they're OUT of that folder).
reboot, see if anything changes...

otherwise, reinstalling mavericks is a much saner move than upgrading to the yosemite beta...

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
look in Hard Drive>Library>Quicktime. do you have the flip4mac components there? try moving them to the desktop (make sure they're OUT of that folder).
reboot, see if anything changes...

otherwise, reinstalling mavericks is a much saner move than upgrading to the yosemite beta...

Will check that...thanks. If I reinstall Mavericks, would you still recommend me moving my email to the server to avoid any database issues with Outlook?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
am not an expert on that. i would either try that, and/or...just make sure the microsoft user folder is backed up.

you might also move all inbox and sent mail into custom folders in outlook...
in case that email is cached and doesn't back up. but am not sure that would happen.

anyone else have advice?

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
am not an expert on that. i would either try that, and/or...just make sure the microsoft user folder is backed up.

you might also move all inbox and sent mail into custom folders in outlook...
in case that email is cached and doesn't back up. but am not sure that would happen.

anyone else have advice?

Another question....I had to redo my email this morning and now have multiple identities on my computer resulting in over 100gb of used space...how do I know which identity is being used so I can delete the others?

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Check this out....I re-installed Mavericks last night and the issue still existed. Made a genius bar appt for today and they actually went above and beyond and replaced my laptop with the most current MBP. I had to buy AppleCare but get a business discount and the actual laptop (with improved specs) was cheaper...out of pocket was $211. Crazy..

Anyway, got home, restored from my Time Machine backup and the problem still exists. I also found that it also exists if you go through Finder and choose Cover Flow as the viewing type. Apple tech support did an NVRam reset last night and the guy was convinced it was a graphics card issue. Genius today didnt think so and here we are. I have thousands and thousands of pictures and every single one I have tried has same result. What should I do?

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Resolution! Ended up with a new laptop out of this but after calling in to Apple Care again tonight I got a guy that knew his ****. The culprit was a folder in the "containers" folder. "quicklook.uihelper" Deleted it, restarted, OSX rebuilt it and poof.....working perfectly.

titaniumtroop

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2014
Resolution! Ended up with a new laptop out of this but after calling in to Apple Care again tonight I got a guy that knew his ****. The culprit was a folder in the "containers" folder. "quicklook.uihelper" Deleted it, restarted, OSX rebuilt it and poof.....working perfectly.

This solved my Quicklook crashing problem in Yosemite. I simply renamed the com.apple.quicklook.ui.helper folder in ~/Library/Containers to com.apple.quicklook.ui.helper.old, and everything seems to be working as it should.

Reactions: marpontes

marpontes

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2016
This solved my Quicklook crashing problem in Yosemite. I simply renamed the com.apple.quicklook.ui.helper folder in ~/Library/Containers to com.apple.quicklook.ui.helper.old, and everything seems to be working as it should.

Solved mine.
Mbp mid 2010 el capitan.
i7 8gb 256 SSD.

When browsing finder, any attempt to preview (on finder) or quick look CR2 (camera raw) files would give me a dashed purple/pink screen.

After doing what you guys said, Imanaged my way out of it.

Thank you!

9941Media

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2018

This worked for me Thanks.

Dr@gon

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2020

MacOS 10.15.6, (hack iMac 15,1 with OC 0.5.9) quicklook crashed when I tried to quick view any item and this solved this issue.

Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.