Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nmaxcom

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
Hi! Really annoying problem.

I don't know when or why this started. But a few months ago I noticed the QL would take a lot of time loading to show me a preview something like a 2KB *.txt file.

But now, it loads indefinitely. I said "text-like" files because everything else seems to work fine: images, videos, pdfs, fonts... I installed more QL plugins to be able to preview more things but that was a long time ago.

Files that I know fail are js, css, pug, txt... All of them are plain text files. Strangely enough, json works perfectly, same with html and markdown files.

Finder's preview is reacting the same way (I'm assuming both preview methods use the same plugins?). Like this:

upload_2019-9-1_9-59-57.png

I also use Path Finder (also been using long before this issue arised), and there, the normal preview works great, but pressing space gives me the same issue:

upload_2019-9-1_10-1-48.png

I've tried using Finder with Path Finder shut down but it's the same. I've also tried running qlmanage -r and qlmanage -r cache, rebooting the system, updating... I even read someone saying using the function key + space worked for him, but no luck.

I'm at the end of my rope. Should I obliterate all QL plugins and reinstall them all again? What can I try?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.