Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johanaziz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
yet, more dissapointing news. I have done a test. I exported the same clip from quicktime in Lion and quicktime in Mountain lion.

This is the clip i used The Dark Knight Rises - Official Trailer #4 [HD]
The original is a 140 second 1080p AVC/AAC MP4 clip.

There is no improvement between Lion export and Mountain Lion export!

i feel cheated. A big reason i upgraded to Mountain Lion was the promised feature of hardware accelerated export. There's no difference at all between Lion and Mountain Lion. In fact, there doesn't seem to even be a change in the software encoder, let alone hardware accelerated.

seriously, wtf.

5k3fB.png

Included handbrake result as benchmark.
Hardware: macbook 13', early 2011, 8gb ram, kingston hyperx ssd.

alanpuccinelli

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2012
Switching between Integrated and Discreet Graphics

Side note... I tried the same experiment as above but with a non-retina MBP from mid 2012. I'm inclined to come to the same conclusion, doesn't look like QS is being leveraged here. But I tried toggling back and forth from Discreet to Integrated display adapter when doing the encode using gfxCardStatus 2.2.1

The time for encode was basically the same on both for the iPad profile using OS 10.8 ML and QT X: 96 seconds using the same Dark Knight clip. However, when using the Discreet adapter the Fans come on full bore. Using the integrated graphics they didn't come on at all. Obviously it's working harder using the Discreet adapter but no obvious QS gain on encode.

Has anyone found any way to leverage QS on a MBP that should support it? Even in Bootcamp using Win7 I can't get any of the software to use it since it's forced to use the discreet card. Software can't see Integrated card to leverage QS. Sucks.

Verloc

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
10.8.2 and still no joy.

Bait and switch from Apple? This was one of the main reasons I upgraded to ML. :mad:

alanpuccinelli

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2012
Agreed... this is really frustrating. It's not right that a MBA can actually encode video faster in some scenarios than a MBP. In this case having an additional discrete graphics card is actually a hinderance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.