Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
Right now, I'm running a copy of Tiger Build 8A268, which lists the version of QuickTime as QuickTime™ Version 6.6, Player Version 6.6.0 (6.6). I haven't tried my QuickTime 6 Pro key yet, but I noticed this in a dialog box when I accidentally pressed command-R. "Get QuickTime 7 Pro today to enable this and dozens of other great features."

I wonder if it'll be a pay upgrade (probably, because of H.264), and if it'll actually be QuickTime 7.
-Chase

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2003
CA
6.6 will probbaly become 7.0 for tiger final
i got that dialog the first time i opended up quicktime on 8A268 but i never paind attention to it

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
If they bump it to 7 it will almost definitely require you pay again in order to have the 'Pro' version.
I bought QT Pro 5 and a month and a half later 6 came out....requiring me to pay again.

Jaz

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2004
Sydney, Australia
I always have a Pro key (motion graphics & effects designer) and always have to buy new keys with each version of QT.

It's a licensing thing. New codecs mean fees, which are usually based on "per pro player" implementation.

The exception seems to be if you buy software like FCP. It includes a Pro key but the username is generic. The cost is built into the software (better be for the price!).

I got 2 new keys (useless as already have own Pro key) when I bought a Production Bundle recently :) One for FCP, one for DVDSP.

Jaz

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2004
Sydney, Australia
live4ever said:
for sure - hopefully the Mpeg2 component still works though (can you confirm this?)

MPEG 2 was always an add-on. Even if you buy Pro, you have to re-up for this part. Tiger is likely to continue that as it's licensing again, and the push is on for H.264 to be used for everything as it scales better. MPEG 2 will be around for a while as it is definitely part of the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD spec, as is H.264. M$ are in trouble with the SMPTE as VC-9 may not be ratified as a standard.

http://www.eet.com/article/printableArticle.jhtml?articleID=50500181&url_prefix=&sub_taxonomyID=4217

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/mpeg2playback/

http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/h264.html

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
This is the biggest change to QuickTime for a long time (cocoa rewrite, actually some new features, etc.). I would be very surprised if it didn't become QT 7. Unfortunately this means I'll have to purchase another software key for full screen playback.. :(

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
johnnyjibbs said:
This is the biggest change to QuickTime for a long time (cocoa rewrite, actually some new features, etc.). I would be very surprised if it didn't become QT 7. Unfortunately this means I'll have to purchase another software key for full screen playback.. :(
The new QuickTime Player in Tiger will be a Cocoa app? About time ;)

live4ever

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2003
Jaz said:
MPEG 2 was always an add-on. Even if you buy Pro, you have to re-up for this part. Tiger is likely to continue that as it's licensing again, and the push is on for H.264 to be used for everything as it scales better. MPEG 2 will be around for a while as it is definitely part of the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD spec, as is H.264. M$ are in trouble with the SMPTE as VC-9 may not be ratified as a standard.

Hopefully it'll support 720p and 1080i/p (HD-Mpeg2) as well with multi-channel AC3 (but I doubt it on the AC3). I wish there were more leaks about Tiger and QT, it's probably the thing I'm most excited about for .4 - especially if it has full Core Image/Video support for all types of video encoding/decoding.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
live4ever said:
Hopefully it'll support 720p and 1080i/p (HD-Mpeg2) as well with multi-channel AC3 (but I doubt it on the AC3). I wish there were more leaks about Tiger and QT, it's probably the thing I'm most excited about for .4 - especially if it has full Core Image/Video support for all types of video encoding/decoding.

Hm, you should be happy with Tiger. :D

I've been playing around with h.264, and realized that older QuickTime versions can read it, because it is still part of the MP4 standard (Part 10, I believe). I'll be making the movies on my website in h.264, so some of you can start seeing how h.264 will make a difference in the real world. The standard is absolutely amazing. I'll post here when my movies are in h.264.
-Chase

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
johnnyjibbs said:

There was an Applescript in Macworld a couple months back that blows quicktime up to full screen without buying Pro.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Darn - I just bought QuickTime Pro a week ago. I'll have to get a new key again. I hope QuickTime 7 fixes the bug where you go into movie properties for a MIDI file, look at the instrument list, and either selecting entries in the list or scrolling the list causes the selected/scrolled off entries' backgrounds to change to gray when they should be white.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.