Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orijinal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
am i missing a codec or something? i can't find any more info regarding this, maybe someone has an idea?

thanks

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Your post isn't very clear - this is an AVI you're trying to play with the QT player which isn't working? Or a QT AVI itself which you created?

Have you tried playing it with VLC? If it doesn't play in VLC, you're probably screwed, but grabbing the latest 3ivx, etc. codec packs could help if you haven't done so already. The only AVIs I know which will simply not play on Macs are using the new WMV3 codec - otherwise, VLC plays everything I throw at it. :cool:

shidoshi

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2004
Open it in QuickTime, go Window > Show Movie Info, and the first thing under "Format" should tell you what codec was used to encode the video. From that, you'll know what you need to find.

I know that yesterday I found an .avi that somebody had used "tssc" for, whatever the hell that is. I really wish people would stop using non-standard codecs when they encode things.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
shidoshi said:
Open it in QuickTime, go Window > Show Movie Info, and the first thing under "Format" should tell you what codec was used to encode the video. From that, you'll know what you need to find.

I know that yesterday I found an .avi that somebody had used "tssc" for, whatever the hell that is. I really wish people would stop using non-standard codecs when they encode things.

Yeah, the problem is that there is freeware/crackware out there for the PC that makes certain formats easier, which is why certain formats have really taken off.

My question is why do people still encode in WMV...the quality is awful and WMP is the worst player out there.

MPEG-4 is really nice, but until its freely available on Windows (Mac users are spoiled, by the way, for getting cool stuff like that built-in), it won't be widespread in most of the web and the "underground" of file sharing.

Edit: I forgot to add that maybe the ipod w/ video will spur new MP4 encoding tools for Windows...its still pretty tough to find pod formatted video online.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
orijinal said:
am i missing a codec or something? i can't find any more info regarding this, maybe someone has an idea?

thanks

I had what sounds to be the same problem. I re-encoded the AVI's (which were taken from my PC) using iSquint (search on http://www.macupdate.com). Works well.

shidoshi said:

Thanks. I'll take a look at the AVI files I mentioned above - curious as to why some work and others don't with Quicktime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.