Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garagethrash

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2010
Has anyone tried to Movist Media Player in Mavericks ?????

I really need a good all-purpose media player before I install Mavericks... I don't care for VLC.

the non-appstore version of mplayerx works fine for me. I hate how hard the seek bar is to see in full screen though. And VLC streams network media much faster than mplayerx

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I just checked out MPlayerX yesterday - it's great! Next to that, I use Plex, which has its own perks if you have a media library you want to organize.

jeanlain

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2009
Just to make sure we're absolutely clear: QuickTime Player (X) in Mavericks is based on something other than QTKit, the framework used when QTX was originally introduced. Alas, I don't remember its name.

That would be AV Foundation / AV Kit.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Bit annoyed that Mavericks won't play anything but MP4, I've got tonnes of AVI, MKV and FLVs, non of which play now :(

They sitt work on MPlayer OS X but I use them in the Finder to find the one I want to watch all the time.

bwat47

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2013
Has anyone tried to Movist Media Player in Mavericks ?????

I really need a good all-purpose media player before I install Mavericks... I don't care for VLC.
I bought movist recently, its very nice and appears to work perfectly in mavericks as far as I can tell. MplayerX works very well in mavericks too though and that one is free (and was recently updated with mavericks compatibility.)

VLC does definitely seem to have a few issues on mavericks from my usage, mostly relating to fullscreen (there's bugs with both VLC's non-native and native fullscreen in mavericks).

I'd recommend mplayerx and movist hands down over VLC for osx anyway, VLC is kind of meh on osx, both movist and mplayerx have nicer interfaces and seem less buggy.

----------

Just launched MPlayerX and watched a vid. Ising Mavericks GM.

Just because it crashed on your one system doesn't necessarily mean it's broken in Mavericks, so you should refrain from making global statements like that.

There was a known crash bug with mplayerX in mavericks actually. There was a build floating around in these forums that was patched to fix it, but the build from the mplayerx site had the issue (and probably the outdated version in the app store too).

MplayerX was updated on the official site with mavericks compatible build today though:

2013/10/23
Fix: compatible issues with Mavericks (10.9)
Fix: time slider mispositioning
Fix: could not disable subtitles in mts files

http://mplayerx.org/download.html

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
QuickTime Player supports MOV format instead of AVI. That means if you want to play avi videos, you can change other player like RealPlayer, Windows Media Player and some other. Or you just convert avi to mov if you are using Macbook and want to play it on QuickTime.
Clarification: If you have a compatible codec installed, then an attempt to open .avi or another third-party format will result in QuickTime X conversion of the video to .mp4-compatible .mov. After the conversion, QuickTime X will play the converted video.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Hello from the future!

I managed to get the Mountain Lion version of QuickTime X mostly working on Mavericks. https://github.com/Wowfunhappy/QuickTime-Fixer/releases This means you can install Perian and open all the strange codecs!

I'm a little annoyed because there are still some cosmetic issues, particularly when you open audio files. But at least for the moment, I can't figure out how to fix them. I only got as far as I did via lots and lots of trying random things, and I really need to stop now.

Given the above, I'm don't think I'd recommend replacing the system QuickTime with this... but, it depends on how much you care about little visual details, and how frequently you use QuickTime for audio (versus video). It's certainly more polished than VLC and MPlayer, although that's a low bar to clear!

Last edited:

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
^ Just kidding, after another day all the visual glitches are gone! I personally have replaced the built-in QuickTime with this one now, it's good enough for me!

The one thing I noticed at the last minute is that the volume slider doesn't work. Kind of strange, but I never understood the point of that anyway...

otetzone

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2019
Interesting. Thank you for your work. Are you going to work on it further on? I've always been annoyed with the volume slider of QT had always been maxed out. It's a shame if it's not adjustable now.

Upd. Maybe I'm missing the point here, I have a couple of avi files on which preview still failed. I'd figure this was the goal. I have Perian installed and had no problem with previewing video files aside from avi. I thoough this version would fix that. I probably got it wrong. Just in case, before installing your version I have deleted the default one according to your instructions.

If I try to Open file in QT I have "---could not be opend. This media may have been damaged" popup.

Last edited:

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Upd. Maybe I'm missing the point here, I have a couple of avi files on which preview still failed. I'd figure this was the goal. I have Perian installed and had no problem with previewing video files aside from avi. I thoough this version would fix that. I probably got it wrong. Just in case, before installing your version I have deleted the default one according to your instructions.

If I try to Open file in QT I have "---could not be opend. This media may have been damaged" popup.

A couple things:

• QuickTime 10.2, unlike QuickTime 10.3, is compatible with third-party QuickTime components. However, you still need to actually install said components. The traditional option is Perian, but on Mavericks I've been having a bit more success with RJVB's version of FFusion. It can be found on https://github.com/RJVB/FFusion, but I've attached the component itself to save you from downloading the whole repository. Copy to Library/QuickTime (you may need to create this folder) and then restart QuickTime player. However...

• Even after installing a third party component, you may still be unable to open avi files. This gets into the difference between codecs and container formats—ffusion adds support for DIVX/XVID video streams, but QuickTime may still refuse to open them if they're in an avi container.

For the second point, I have an Applescript app I've named "QuickTime Helper" which takes avi and mkv files which QuickTime won't open, puts them into a mov file, and then has QuickTime open the temporary mov file. Because it's not actually converting the video streams, this can be done quite quickly and with no quality loss.

I shouldn't care, but the Applescript code is still so crappy I kind of don't want to post it publicly yet, but feel free to send me a PM if you're interested.

Are you going to work on it further on? I've always been annoyed with the volume slider of QT had always been maxed out. It's a shame if it's not adjustable now.
I don't know if you saw, but I did work a bit further last week. The volume slider is adjustable now, kind of... I couldn't make it do what it's supposed to, so I made it do something else instead. It now controls the global system volume of your computer, like on iOS.

Maybe you'll like this more anyway—it solves the problem of "the volume slider of QT [is always] maxed out." I'm kind of undecided as to whether or not it's an improvement, myself.

At this point, I think I'm done with the QuickTime app itself, unless I discover a new bug, which is very possible. What I'm currently trying to do is update that FFusion component I mentioned above, to support hevc and vp9 videos. This would allow it to play 4K downloads from Youtube.

Attachments

• FFusion.component.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Reactions: otetzone
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.