Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grey Dawn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2020
Hi All,

I'm new to Quicktime recording. Tonight I taped an important conversation with a friend of mine as practice. The conversation went on so long that my computer fell asleep. It was recording for about 1 1/2 hours and now I can't find the file anywhere. I had not yet given it a name and I have no idea where it could be hiding. Did it disappear? Is it forever lost?? Thanks for any help you can provide!

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Have you tried opening quick time and making a small test recording and then click save to see what location it defaults saving to ?

Hopefully it was saved to that folder?

Not sure that will help but maybe worth a shot?

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
I tried starting a recording, checking Activity Monitor for open files, then force quitting QTX. The file path (on El Capitan) is user/Library/Containers/com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX/Data/Library/Autosave Information/, then show package contents of the file(s) there.

Edit: make sure to copy the file over to another location as Quicktime may delete the files if you attempt to open it.

Last edited:

imac wannabe

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2011
Appleton, WI
This always works for me:

Go to AutoSave Folder

The first place that could possibly have your unsaved QuickTime recordings is QuickTime AutoSave folder. Here you could find Mac screen video, iPhone/iPad screen video, audio recorded by QuickTime.

• Press Command+Shift+G to open Go To Folder window and enter the following path: ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX/Data/Library/Autosave Information/
  • In this folder, you should look for files that are named as something like: Unsaved QuickTime Player Document 2.qtpxcomposition
  • Once you find a file that looks like your lost QuickTime recording (you may identify the right file based on modified date and file size), right click the file and select "Show Package Contents", which will open the package and reveal a .mov file.
  • Open the .mov file. And if it is the unsaved QuickTime recording you are looking for, drag it to your desktop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.