Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shawn C

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
I bought an external hard drive to back up my video files. After copying I noticed certain video files will not play when I open them from the external drive, but they will open from my computer.
I get the message "QuickTime Player can't open ____.mp4". Quicktime is my default player, and the external HD is formatted as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".
I have tried all other available format options [Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive Journaled), ExFAT, MS-DOS (FAT)] and the problem is the same.
My operating system is "macOS Mojave Version 10.14.6".
I have tried opening the problem video using a different media player [Cisdem Video Player] and such a file will not open.
I have tried re-copying the same file and the problem persist.

Any ideas?

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Try it in a different container like mkv, use something like MKVToolNix it allows you to remux the file with no loss or conversion to a .mkv. If this will play then it is the format of the streams contained in the .mp4 file that is causing the problem. I am not thinking there is much chance of success as it is too strange, a file that only play while on the machine. Oh and you may want to try VLC, the Swiss army knife of video players, it will play anything you throw at it in my experience.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
HFS+ (Mac OS extended) is the drive format you want.

Have you tried VLC for a player?
Have you tried IINA ?

I'm thinking that something is "going bad" with the copy, and you're ending up with a corrupted file on the external.

You might try a different connecting cable to the drive.

Is there ANY kind of encryption involved with the external drive?

Shawn C

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
Try it in a different container like mkv, use something like MKVToolNix it allows you to remux the file with no loss or conversion to a .mkv. If this will play then it is the format of the streams contained in the .mp4 file that is causing the problem. I am not thinking there is much chance of success as it is too strange, a file that only play while on the machine. Oh and you may want to try VLC, the Swiss army knife of video players, it will play anything you throw at it in my experience.

The link is you provided for "MKVToolNix" is "for Linux/Unix and Windows". I found the below one for Mac OS, but am unable to figure out how to play videos with it:
The video(s) do not play in VLC.

Shawn C

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
HFS+ (Mac OS extended) is the drive format you want.

Have you tried VLC for a player?
Have you tried IINA ?

I'm thinking that something is "going bad" with the copy, and you're ending up with a corrupted file on the external.

You might try a different connecting cable to the drive.

Is there ANY kind of encryption involved with the external drive?
"HFS+ (Mac OS extended" is not a format option I have. The available formats are:
1) Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
2) Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive Journaled)
3) ExFAT
4) MS-DOS (FAT)

VLC does not play the videos.

IINA does not play the videos.

A different cable did not change anything.

I don't know how to encrypt a file, so how can I find out if there is there ANY kind of encryption involved with the external drive?

JimmyG

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2019
Hudson Valley NY
I bought an external hard drive to back up my video files. After copying I noticed certain video files will not play when I open them from the external drive, but they will open from my computer.
I get the message "QuickTime Player can't open ____.mp4". Quicktime is my default player, and the external HD is formatted as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".
I have tried all other available format options [Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive Journaled), ExFAT, MS-DOS (FAT)] and the problem is the same.
My operating system is "macOS Mojave Version 10.14.6".
I have tried opening the problem video using a different media player [Cisdem Video Player] and such a file will not open.
I have tried re-copying the same file and the problem persist.

Any ideas?

Just a few questions to help clarify the problem...

1. So, the original video files you say "will open from my computer", using which software?

2. How did you perform the copying to the external drive? (i.e. drag and drop? exported from a program?, using Time Machine or other backup software?, etc.)

3. Are these video files something you shot yourself or are they from other sources (i.e. downloaded, paid content, acquired from other sources, etc.?)

4. Any other file formats (video or not) that do not open from the external drive?

5. Can you post a comparison screenshot of the Get Info window from an example original video file and a copied video file (blurring out any personal information, of course)?

6. Model/specs on your Mac and the external drive?

:)

Shawn C

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
Just a few questions to help clarify the problem...

1. So, the original video files you say "will open from my computer", using which software?

2. How did you perform the copying to the external drive? (i.e. drag and drop? exported from a program?, using Time Machine or other backup software?, etc.)

3. Are these video files something you shot yourself or are they from other sources (i.e. downloaded, paid content, acquired from other sources, etc.?)

4. Any other file formats (video or not) that do not open from the external drive?

5. Can you post a comparison screenshot of the Get Info window from an example original video file and a copied video file (blurring out any personal information, of course)?

QuickTime Player Version 10.5 (935.5)

Drag and drop.

Something I shot.

Yes a "3GPP", "txt", "QT", and "pdf" do not open. A png, loads part on the image.
But a "jpg" and "mp3" do open.

Enclosed, with copy on left and original on right.

Mac:
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports)
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Startup Disk Macintosh HD 500
Graphics Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB
Serial Number C02YQ3VYLVDD

External drive:
Jetzz 1TB External Hard Drive - Portable Hard Drive External HDD Type C USB3.1 Storage Compatible for PC, Mac, Laptop (1TB, Blue)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 11.10.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 11.10.58 AM.png
    741.5 KB · Views: 330
Reactions: JimmyG

JimmyG

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2019
Hudson Valley NY
Hi again, Shawn C,

Hrm, based on your Get Info screenshot something is causing the file attributes (Dimensions, Codecs, Color profile, and Duration) to be trashed on the copied file. A few more questions...

7. How is the "Jetzz 1TB External Hard Drive" flash drive connected to your Macbook Pro? (i.e. directly into a TB3 port? going through a hub or other device then to the MBP? using manufacturer supplied cable? using other cable? over a network?, etc.)

8. Have you tried using another TB3 port or other cable?

9. Do you have another flash drive that you can copy the same file(s) to to see if they'll open properly as a test?

10. Have you tried restarting the computer?

Just running through some basic steps here to try and narrow things down.

Also, I can't say where I was impressed by the Customer Reviews of that drive at the Amazon link you provided...perhaps there is a quality control issue at play here with your unit?

Jimmy G

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008

What happens when you copy them back again?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"HFS+ (Mac OS extended" is not a format option I have. The available formats are:
1) Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
2) Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive Journaled)
3) ExFAT

4) MS-DOS (FAT)

The external drive should be:
Mac OS extended (journaled). This is also know as "HFS+".

DO NOT use "case sensitive". That could be mucking things up.

Shawn C

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
Hi again, Shawn C,

Hrm, based on your Get Info screenshot something is causing the file attributes (Dimensions, Codecs, Color profile, and Duration) to be trashed on the copied file. A few more questions...

7. How is the "Jetzz 1TB External Hard Drive" flash drive connected to your Macbook Pro? (i.e. directly into a TB3 port? going through a hub or other device then to the MBP? using manufacturer supplied cable? using other cable? over a network?, etc.)

9. Do you have another flash drive that you can copy the same file(s) to to see if they'll open properly as a test?

Just running through some basic steps here to try and narrow things down.

Also, I can't say where I was impressed by the Customer Reviews of that drive at the Amazon link you provided...perhaps there is a quality control issue at play here with your unit?

Jimmy G
-Directly into a TB3 port.

-Yes, and same result. The same port work for my Kindle, for example.

-Yes, and they open. I used to copy my video files to this device, but then I ran out of space, hence the new drive.

-Yes, and same result.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008

-Yes, and they open. I used to copy my video files to this device, but then I ran out of space, hence the new drive.

-Yes, and same result.

Have you tried copying back the files from the external "hard drive" to your computer to see if they remain corrupted?

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA

-Yes, and same result.
The answer is - based on what you've said here - your drive is defective at best, or a scam at worst. Note that it's been delisted from Amazon. What did you pay for this 1TB SSD? can you get a refund?

Reactions: nicho

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
The
Yes, and they are corrupted.

That all but confirms the drive is a dud then. I recently got stung by a "too good to be true" deal on micro SD cards from China... worthless things are still sitting on my desk as a reminder that you get what you pay for.

Reactions: MSastre

JimmyG

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2019
Hudson Valley NY
Hi Shawn C,

Based on the device "not working as advertised", methinks your decision to return the item is the best way to go...no sense pulling one's hair out over something that "should just work".

Please note: Best practice here would be sure you zeroed out your data when you erase the device using Disk Utility prior to sending it back just in case you've stored any personal or financial information on the drive which could be accessed by unintended parties!

I'd have been curious to chase down this problem further with you (i.e. doing a System Profiler check on the drive to see what it was that they actually sold you, comparing original files against the copied files using a diagnositic tool like EXIFTool, etc.) as it might have provided this community with a better understanding of what that drive was doing (or not) and maybe shed some light on the missing File attributes (my suspicion here being that some other vital file identifiers got tossed in the mix while being copied to the external drive, too).

But, again, best to just return the offending item and move on.

Keep us posted on what external storage solution route you decide!

Jimmy G

Reactions: Shawn C

Shawn C

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
I got a 2TB Seagate drive from Walmart for $55, which works as it should. Funny thing is my old drive which I got a refund for was the same price but with half the storage size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.