Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mox358

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2002
Indiana
My Take On This...

I finally gave in and purchased Quicktime Pro when Tiger came out. It was the first time I'd ever paid for the Pro license and it really is a good deal. $30 is a small price to me for the convenience that Pro offers. Buy it, use it for a few months, then use a computer w/o Pro. You'll be amazed at all the cool little things you can do with it, but you won't really notice then until you get used to having them and then have to do without.

I think that's Apple's secret plan - once you buy Quicktime Pro you get so used to having the functionality, so that when they bring out a new version (6.0 -> 7.0) alot of people who already paid for QT get so frustrated not having those features that they'll pay again (I know I will) just to keep the functionality.

But overall it really is worth the measly $30 if you just have it extra to spend.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
I actually have pro, but IIRC you can trick QT free into saving a file. I think you open the file in QT, command + x to cut, and then try to close. I think it popped up with a save dialogue and you could save it from there.

That along with the applescript to fullscreen video is pretty much all you need.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
The "pro" charge should only be applied to PC users. The "pro" charge should be worked into the bundled apps that come with your machine, or even better built into the OS.

w8ing4intelmacs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2006
East Coast, US
It's also great for rotating videos on the fly (esp. if you have a digital still camera that can capture short videos). I was finally able to rotate a bunch of videos of my son that were "sideways".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.