Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seanf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
UK
Hello,

There seem to be no end of stories of noisy drives and amplified vibration noise in the Mac Pros, but does anyone have any drives they would recommend for a quiet setup?

Thanks

Sean :)

Retired
May 16, 2006
Not many people aren't happy with their MP's HD noise, but happy people don't post about their quiet HD's...

DeadSirius

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2006
I don't know of any dead silent hard drives, but I've been very comfortable with my Hitachi Deskstar 500 GB drive. Others may disagree.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
My seagates were dead quiet until I put them into a RAID-0

now they click simultaneously which makes the noise pretty loud

seanf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
UK
You might want to chekc out reviews and forum posts on http://silentpcreview.com/
Thanks for the suggestion. I have already posted a thread on there asking for recommendations on low vibration drives. I have also checked out their recommended lists, but the only 3.5" drive they recommend is also stated as having a high level of vibration. As there's seemingly no good way of suspending the drives in the Pro this will be no good.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
I don't know of any dead silent hard drives, but I've been very comfortable with my Hitachi Deskstar 500 GB drive. Others may disagree.

-DeadSirius

We hold a sh** load of silencing patents. Odds are best Hitachis in a head-to-head will always be quietest.

'course, the Deskstar too have the spool-up noise, but read/write slider clicking is near gone.

Jame

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2006
Pocola, Oklahoma
Hello,

There seem to be no end of stories of noisy drives and amplified vibration noise in the Mac Pros, but does anyone have any drives they would recommend for a quiet setup?

Thanks

I'm sure there will be plenty to dispute this, but i added 3 Western Digital 250 gig hard drives to my Mac Pro and have been very happy with them. My Mac Pro sets on my desk not more than a foot and a half from me and i can not hear any noise from them with all 4 drives spinning. At a hundred bucks a pop i am well pleased with their quietness and performances.

I did notice some vib noise a couple of months ago, but it wasn't the drives, but a flaw in the Mac Pro mounting. After putting a couple pieces of card board in the right place all the vibration and noise went away.

jsalbre

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2007
I did notice some vib noise a couple of months ago, but it wasn't the drives, but a flaw in the Mac Pro mounting. After putting a couple pieces of card board in the right place all the vibration and noise went away.

What are "the right places?" I'm having some resonance noise myself but if I press my hand against any part of the case it goes away. I suppose I could figure it out by trial and error, but if you've already done so it'd save me some time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.