Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwatters579

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2015
I am running 14.2 and have been experiencing problems with getting Messages Notifications. Sometimes I get notifications of new messages, sometimes I don’t. I have tried turning on/off notifications and also powering down/on my phone and doing a reboot to no avail. Has anyone else experienced this and were you able to fix the issue?

JasonHB

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Warwickshire, UK
I’ve got this as well, hit and miss on any notifications from iMessage. Use the AW6 as well, and don’t get anything on that either yet the message is always there.
I hard reset both devices twice earlier today, and it started working again, but I don’t know how long for.

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta
I am running 14.2 and have been experiencing problems with getting Messages Notifications. Sometimes I get notifications of new messages, sometimes I don’t. I have tried turning on/off notifications and also powering down/on my phone and doing a reboot to no avail. Has anyone else experienced this and were you able to fix the issue?
I have the same issue. I miss texts all the time

jammyr

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2018
Exactly same problem here with my wife's phone. iPhone 12 Pro running iOS 14.2. Are Apple aware of the issue?

DHA

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2014
A hard reset of the phone (voulme up, volume down, then hold the lock button until the white apple appears) resolves the issue for a while, but it returns

jammyr

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2018
I tried that however the problem still returned. Tried toggling notification settings on IPhone and closing down MacBook and iPad logged into the same iCloud account. Still doesn’t fix it. Strange that the problem doesn’t always occur

ranker133

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2020
I had to downgrade back to iOS 14.1 because I was missing so many texts. I've sent in a bug report as well. Hoping for 14.2.1 this week.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
It definitely a bug in iOS 14.2. Some here have reported the issue, but Apple can’t seem to figure out the issue.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Just an update for everyone. I have had the same issue and Apple has no clue what’s going on. I’ve had them looking into it and I’ve tried several steps including a full restore. They are escalating to their engineering team.

My issue is intermittent and only affected with me not getting notified of texts from Android users.

I do feel like we need to get this issue some more press. How do we alert MacRumors to see if they’d post a story?

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Just an update for everyone. I have had the same issue and Apple has no clue what’s going on. I’ve had them looking into it and I’ve tried several steps including a full restore. They are escalating to their engineering team.

My issue is intermittent and only affected with me not getting notified of texts from Android users.

I do feel like we need to get this issue some more press. How do we alert MacRumors to see if they’d post a story?

Here is the spot to submit. I will submit later, but multiple people submitting might help.

Reactions: mjschabow

MrGarak

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2018
I would recommend filing a bug report with Apple too. I did a day or two ago, haven't heard back yet though

Reactions: bmac4

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I would recommend filing a bug report with Apple too. I did a day or two ago, haven't heard back yet though

Apple told me today that is was AT&T’s fault, and if they couldn’t help me that there was be an iOS update at some point. Said they are usually quick to update. That’s the best they could.

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2019
Experiencing the same thing. I noticed it start today, though I downloaded 14.2 the moment it was available.

Last edited:

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
I’ve discovered that it happens when I’m in a text thread with someone and I swipe out of the message app with the chat still open I won’t get notifications when that person messages me. I still get notifications from other people just not the person who’s message is open in the background. If I go back to the main messenger screen I get all my notifications. So my fix for now is to make sure I go back to the Home Screen of the messenger app at all times before putting my phone back in my pocket.

Reactions: bmac4

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
I’ve discovered that it happens when I’m in a text thread with someone and I swipe out of the message app with the chat still open I won’t get notifications when that person messages me. I still get notifications from other people just not the person who’s message is open in the background. If I go back to the main messenger screen I get all my notifications. So my fix for now is to make sure I go back to the Home Screen of the messenger app at all times before putting my phone back in my pocket.
This is interesting.

Please report this to Apple.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
It's getting more frequent and now happening with iPhone users as well. And now the same thing happened to my daughter. I think this is getting more and more widespread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.