Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
New Quote style...

better, worse, no preference?

Edit: Quotes reverted to default style for now.

arn

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
No preference, yet.

---

I noticed when I tried posting an article yesterday, that even though the article may be long and you'd like to avoid making a comment on it in the initial post...

it still tells you that your post is 10 characters too short.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
I think they're much better. So much easier to follow than the old box. I also like how the round, soft nature of the new quote box offers a contrast to the squarishness of the forum. They complement each other well.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
arn said:
New Quote style...

arn

I think it looks fine, but it might look a lot better if the little bubble that says "Quote" was removed, i.e. the header of the quote just says "Originally posted by XXXXX."

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
job said:
I think it looks fine, but it might look a lot better if the little bubble that says "Quote" was removed, i.e. the header of the quote just says "Originally posted by XXXXX."

Ditto.

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
job said:

You bet me to it, I was about to post that idea.

I do prefer the new style though, perhaps another possibility is to merge the "Quote" section and "Originally posted by..." section.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
something like this I guess.

Then again, I don't even know if you can make changes like this.

However, I do prefer the new quoting style over the old.

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 250

AngryLawnGnome

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2004
the Posted By is better...it doesn't take up any extra space, and if it's a long thread, it can really speed things up.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Re: Posted By

>Replying to who?

When it's a long thread, it would be hard to see who they're replying to.

Especially some of those really active front page threads.

It would almost be like somebody is replying and forgetting to mention who they're replying to.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
arn said:
New Quote style...

arn

I just noticed it this evening arn. It looks very sophisticated. A very nice upgrade. It should contain the person that is being quoted. You just continue to amaze me arn, thank you! ;)

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
I think what the others are trying to say is that the two consecutive bubbles are distracting. I like job's idea. Or maybe, make the text "Quote:" bold, so it is distinguished from the following "Posted by...."

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
It looks like Arn followed our advice; The quote bubble has gone. :)

EDIT: Huh, it's gone back to the original now. What's going on?

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
It wasn't easily editable to exactly what was wanted. I reverted to oldstyle for now... will mess with it more later.

arn

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
wdlove said:
I just noticed it this evening arn. It looks very sophisticated. A very nice upgrade. It should contain the person that is being quoted. You just continue to amaze me arn, thank you! ;)

Arn, I have to hand it to you, great job. The new quote styles are very, very neat looking.

Any way to darken the background of the forum pages a few shades?

Cheers!

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
My 2 cents
I kinda think 2 bubbles is rather pleasant in appearance. Anyway, new (now not used) quote style is much nicer than the original whether you give it one bubble or two. Again, great work. You've managed to pull off a substantial upgrade with very little effort.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Dunno, I sorta liked the bubbles.

Also, one thing I liked about the old style of quoting is the way italics and bold were used, instead of being:

Kyle? said:
My 2 cents
I kinda think 2 bubbles is rather pleasant in appearance.

It was:

Originally posted by Kyle?
I kinda think 2 bubbles is rather pleasant in appearance.

which I think helped it to stand out a bit more from the regular text despite the box already around it. Italics don't seperate it as much as I think they should, the bold stands out more I think.

Anyhoo, just my thoughts.

BTW, the new
colour arrangement is bloody awesome.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
arn said:
It wasn't easily editable to exactly what was wanted. I reverted to oldstyle for now... will mess with it more later.

arn

I hope that you will be able to bring back something similar in the near future. Now that it's gone, I miss the change. The old style just looks antiquated, so 20th Century.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Posted by sethypoo
I agree with vniow, I think that the quotes should be bold, not italicized.

but then if you have a bold word in you post it may stand out less.

edit-nevermind.

btw, there's a lot of quoting in this thread :p;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.