Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Well, unless I've missed something, iTunes 10 marks the last app that supported 10.4. I suppose it's time we all moved on.

What does everyone else plan on doing with their Tiger machines? I'll probably use mine as a file server.

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
Depends on how much you need the new features of iTunes 10, of course - 9.2.2 * isn't going to disappear, and will presumably still be available for download just like the previous versions are for G3 processors etc.

There's a lot of opinion I've seen on these boards that Tiger was the strongest release of OS X. I've only got one machine where I could have made a direct comparison to Leopard (upgraded my iBook G4).

* EDIT: I mean iTunes 9.2.2, of course, not OS 9......

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think Tiger was the pinnacle of OSX providing a great balance of performance/features. While Leopard and SL have not been bad, they have been more bloated in terms of size

Grannyville7989

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
Tiger was certainly my favourite version of OS X. I even liked Leopard when it was released. I'm a long time user of Windows and I didn't really pay that much attention to Apple's OS X until they released Tiger and showed off the then-new Spotlight search and that's when I thought to myself "Now Mac is actually better than Windows."

I have bought myself an iMac G3 recently just so that I can run Mac OS X Tiger again. I've just ordered myself Tiger on 16 CDs. It's going to be great! :)

Wasn't that much of a fan of Snow Leopard. I just felt more like Leopard with a Windows equivalent of a serivce pack added to it. But people disagree with me.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
His golf game is a bit off and his wife dumped him, but really, "R.I.P Tiger" seems a bit premature. :D

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Well, unless I've missed something, iTunes 10 marks the last app that supported 10.4. I suppose it's time we all moved on.

What does everyone else plan on doing with their Tiger machines? I'll probably use mine as a file server.

Since all I have is a iMac running Tiger and Apple continues to drive nails in it's coffin, I don't know what I'm going to do. Notice that Windows XP is STILL supported though.:mad:

I just can't live with Apple's current offering of Macs so I guess I'm going to sit here as my old Mac becomes more and more obsolete...

Grannyville7989

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
I'm going to use my iMac G3 as a secondary desktop for when my brother is using Windows desktop to play games and I want to check my email.

It still works fine so I have no intention of it being thrown away. I think I may replace the hard drive in it soon. It's making a high pitched noise when the hard drive is active.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Honestly most people just need iTunes to rip their CD's and playback MP3's and possible a handful of songs bought off the iTunes store. Then part of those need to connect to their iPod or iPhone. So depending on the individuals needs iTunes 1 and Mac OS 9 can be sufficient.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
I like all OSs, but Tiger must be the best

In my opinion, Tiger was one of, if not the best desktop OS of all time. But I also liked XP, I didn't have any problems with it. Of course, Tiger was more stable and used resources better.

Apple already pushed Tiger to the sideline some time ago. For such a long time, I wanted Tiger on my unibody, but at one point, it is time to let it go. Having said that - five years is still longer than the three that PPC users had to be put up with in terms of not being able to upgrade to Snow Leopard.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OS 10.4 dead?

Huh?

I'm typing this on a 2004 g4/1.25 MDD that's been running 10.3.9 all this time. Still works pretty good.

I'm just now _thinking of upgrading_ to 10.4!

So there!

tuna

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
Do you guys actually thing that Tiger is better than Snow Leopard, or do you just think that

-Tiger was a better OS for the time (maybe SL advantage isn't as large over Windows 7 as Tiger was over the latest Windows release at the time)

OR maybe

-Tiger was a more impressive update over previous versions of OS X than Leopard/SL

Its like... Windows 98SE was my favorite Windows ever, but I still believe that Windows 7 is better. Its just that Windows 98SE was more impressive at the time.

I just yesterday updated a couple of my family's 2006 iMacs from 10.4 to 10.6. I don't regret it.

Grannyville7989

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
For me, Tiger was just very impressive for its time, especially with the Spotlight feature which you could find stuff on your computer nearly instantly. Plus, previous version of OS X before Tiger were horribly buggy and sluggish at the time and Tiger was just a massive improvement. However, I did think that Leopard was very impressive when it was shown off at the Apple keynote with the new features it had and redesigned UI. Apart from the Dock, I didn't like the way it looks so I always tweak it in Terminal to turn the glass off.

Snow Leopard was 'meh' to me. In fact, it's just Leopard, in my opinion. It's like going from Windows XP SP2 to Windows XP SP3. Some tweaked things under the hood but nothing new to offer.

qbricc

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2007
Time to upgrade

Looks like the iPad and new iPod line up require an upgrade from Tiger. Its a shame as window users get more support but the shelf life of PCs vs Mac means there are still many people running 5 year Macs.

Now it will cost users an extra £130 for the Mac box set on top of the cost of a new iPod.

Grannyville7989

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
Actually, pre-Leopard users can just purchase the £29 Snow Leopard disc and perform an upgrade from that. The only difference between the Mac Box and the standalone upgrade disc is the EULA.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Unless you're running a PowerPC Mac, then you have to be willing to pay the price gougers for Leopard or do with out.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Unless you're running a PowerPC Mac, then you have to be willing to pay the price gougers for Leopard or do with out.
When Leopard came out Apple should have done the right thing by PPC users and given a half-price PPC-only version. They knew full well it would be the last OS for PPC at the time but I guess the margins on new hardware were just too tempting.

Frankly, if you obtain it by less than honest means, I don't think Apple would give a hoot.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
When Leopard came out Apple should have done the right thing by PPC users and given a half-price PPC-only version. They knew full well it would be the last OS for PPC at the time but I guess the margins on new hardware were just too tempting.

Frankly, if you obtain it by less than honest means, I don't think Apple would give a hoot.

Well, I would give hoot, so I'll just keep on moving along until either the death of this old G4 iMac or a new Mac changes that.

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
When Leopard came out Apple should have done the right thing by PPC users and given a half-price PPC-only version.

Agreed. Or at least when Snow Leopard came out, sell Leopard at a greatly reduced price for all those who are buying used PPC machines with Tiger/Panther etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.