Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
London
I have an ongoing problem with my Mac Pro since upgrading to Mojave, some audio plugins cause a spinning wheel when displaying their GUI.
A friend of mine has a 7950 and doesn't have this problem, so it seems to be my system. I started with a metal compatible 7850 that works in Mojave but causes the spinning wheel, I thought it might be GPU memory as this was only 2GB, so I tried a R9 280x this was recognised by Mojave as 7xxxx 3Gb however same problem, so I flashed the bios with a Rom via Netkas.org (took forever to sort it) it got recognised as "AMD Radeon R9 280X 3 GB" but alas still the same problem..so I tried a Vega 56 from my PC and that was recognised fine and the problem of the spinning wheel is gone.
So I am guessing it's not the plugin (I have asked others & all good), The R9280x should be more powerful than my friends 7950 so should work.
It's something to do with the card itself or the drivers OSX is using? Any suggestions?
MY thoughts now are it has a driver missing & maybe I should try flashing it again, I used someone else ROM (used by it seems lot of others) Or give up and save for a RX580 pulse :) 1 good thing, the R9 280x works fine in everything else and I now have boot screens!

I noticed in the system report it shows 2 entries under PCI
1st
AMD Radeon R9 280X:
Name: ATY,Hamachi
Type: Display Controller
Driver Installed: Yes
MSI: Yes
Bus: PCI
Slot: Slot-1
Vendor ID: 0x1002
Device ID: 0x6798
Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x148c
Subsystem ID: 0x3001
Revision ID: 0x0000
Link Width: x16
Link Speed: 5.0 GT/s

2nd
AMD Radeon R9 280X:
Name: ATY,HamachiParent
Type: ATY,HamachiParent
Driver Installed: No
MSI: No
Device ID: 0xaaa0
Subsystem ID: 0xaaa0

Maybe it's missing a driver? anyone else with a R9 280x can confirm this is right or wrong?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I have an ongoing problem with my Mac Pro since upgrading to Mojave, some audio plugins cause a spinning wheel when displaying their GUI.
A friend of mine has a 7950 and doesn't have this problem, so it seems to be my system. I started with a metal compatible 7850 that works in Mojave but causes the spinning wheel, I thought it might be GPU memory as this was only 2GB, so I tried a R9 280x this was recognised by Mojave as 7xxxx 3Gb however same problem, so I flashed the bios with a Rom via Netkas.org (took forever to sort it) it got recognised as "AMD Radeon R9 280X 3 GB" but alas still the same problem..so I tried a Vega 56 from my PC and that was recognised fine and the problem of the spinning wheel is gone.
So I am guessing it's not the plugin (I have asked others & all good), The R9280x should be more powerful than my friends 7950 so should work.
It's something to do with the card itself or the drivers OSX is using? Any suggestions?
MY thoughts now are it has a driver missing & maybe I should try flashing it again, I used someone else ROM (used by it seems lot of others) Or give up and save for a RX580 pulse :) 1 good thing, the R9 280x works fine in everything else and I now have boot screens!

I noticed in the system report it shows 2 entries under PCI
1st
AMD Radeon R9 280X:
Name: ATY,Hamachi
Type: Display Controller
Driver Installed: Yes
MSI: Yes
Device ID: 0x6798
Subsystem ID: 0x3001

2nd
AMD Radeon R9 280X:
Name: ATY,HamachiParent
Type: ATY,HamachiParent
Driver Installed: No
MSI: No
Device ID: 0xaaa0
Subsystem ID: 0xaaa0

Maybe it's missing a driver? anyone else with a R9 280x can confirm this is right or wrong?

The missing driver is for HDMI / Display port audio output, shouldn't be related to your problem.

Reactions: Boomish69

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
Boomish69

The best way to eliminate and or identify problems is to do a fresh, clean, full install of Mojave on a spare SSD.

Also, did you create the RP 280X ROM yourself ?

Which Mac Pro do you have ?

Reactions: Boomish69

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
London
Boomish69

The best way to eliminate and or identify problems is to do a fresh, clean, full install of Mojave on a spare SSD.

Also, did you create the RP 280X ROM yourself ?

Which Mac Pro do you have ?
Thanks Mikx, good idea with a fresh install I shall try that. The Rom I used from one for the same card posted on Netkas.org forum, the next thing to try is to make my own ROM. It's the Mac Pro 5.1 as per sig (updated now) , pretty much the same as yours.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
@Boomish69

It is always better to make your own EFI ROM - the only exception would be downloading ROMS created by Netkas Member " Fiorian " = GPU Genius !

It's not too hard to make your own ROM, I can help you plus it is possible to have the GPU display it's correct name in " About This Mac ".

( I flashed a Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 3gb which is the little brother of the R9 280X. )

IMPORTANT : Which brand of R9 280X do you have ? Sapphire ? MSI ? Gigabyte ? etc.

==================

To EFI flash the ROM for an R9 280X

Write down these instructions in a small notebook so that you will have them available for future flashing.

1. Shut down - remove t cMP's power cord set the R9 280X's BIOS Switch to Position #2 ( right side )

2. Bootup with the R9 280X only - no other GPUs

3. Go to "About This Mac " System Report / Graphics Displays /
Find your R9 280X and look for " Device ID WRITE this number down.in your notebook.
EXAMPLE : This is the Device ID for my MSI Armor RX580 8gb.

Device ID.jpg

4. Make a new folder somewhere on your SSD / HDD titled " (Brand & model name ) R9 280X EFI ROM project. )

4.1. Make another folder in this folder titled "Flashing apps ". place the orginal zipped downloads of the
following apps in this folder
Download "Hex Fiend" here https://ridiculousfish.com/hexfiend/
Put Hex Fiend in your Applications folder and and also on your Dock.
Hex Fiend is used to input the correct "R9 280X name in "About This Mac " prior
to the actual flash.

Download "Bundle.tar.bz2" from the netkas site
Post #1
http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,5619.0.html

Download ATI Winflash here
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ati-atiflash/

Download GPU-Z here
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/
========================

Enough for now, it's 1 am here in Japan and I have an early start & a long daytomorrow.

PM me if you have any questions.

========================

The R9 280X is a nice card for it's time but is power hungry if two monitors connected
but it is also possible to downvolt it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.