Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hal0n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
I'm learning the FCS workflow still. As a result, I short cutted some steps. But the video, while not super artistic, is interesting on some levels. We did have some creative camera angles, etc. I hope you enjoy it.

99problems.jpg

http://happytiger.net/kevin/videos/99problems.mov

Size : 37.5megs
Codec: H.264 codec
Date: 1/31/2006

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
1. Oh man, this piece is dieing for nat sound. We need to hear the sounds from the track. Tires screeching, engines reving, etc.,. The images let the audience see what is going on, but hearing the sounds is what brings it home and makes it feel real.

2. It's personal preference but I would've enjoyed a more aggressive sound track. Something that gets the blood pumping and makes we want to hop in my car and drive to the nearest course.

2a. The video needed to be cut to the music more. That's not to say that there should be an edit on every down beat, but the video and audio do need to compliment each other. There is rhythm and beat present in editing images just as there is rhythm and beat present in music. The hard part is finding and creating that rhythm in the images that you see. The audio and video are like dance partners. They don't need to be doing the exact same thing, but their moves do need to compliment each other.

3. Too many interior shots, IMO. The inside shots aren't as thrilling as the wide shots or "roof cam" shots because it's a more limited view so it's harder to see what's happening. The interior shots could be used to accent the wider stuff. So, for example, show a wide shot of a car spinning out then cut to interior shot of the car spinning then go back to the wide shot. The wide shot lets us see, lets us understand, what's going on and the close up (the interior shot) lets us experience it. The wide shot is for context and the close up is for feeling/emotion. (if that makes sense).

It looks like you've got some good source material there. I really liked at the end how you dropped the music out and we hear the guy swear as he's having trouble w/the car, and the opening credits where we heard the engine rumbling.

Lethal

hal0n

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Counterfit said:
Well, you'd have one, less problem if you didn't take out so many cones. :eek:
Is that SCCA Autocross?

yes it is... it's also drift comps, etc.

LethalWolfe said:
1. Oh man, this piece is dieing for nat sound.

2. It's personal preference but I would've enjoyed a more aggressive sound track.

2a. The video needed to be cut to the music more.

3. Too many interior shots, IMO.

It looks like you've got some good source material there. I really liked at the end how you dropped the music out and we hear the guy swear as he's having trouble w/the car, and the opening credits where we heard the engine rumbling.

I agree with you 100 percent. It's nice to hear it in such a constructive way too. I really did intentionally shortcut a little bit too much. My audience, mainly people in the video, are really too distracted by the fact that they are in the video to notice the flaws though. And, that really is my reasoning behind the shoddy work.

As far as the natural sound.. Most of the camera setup was out of my control. I suggested angles and how to secure the camera. And as a result not much attention was given to the audio. So, all of those visually appealing shots have almost no useable audio. unless wind noise and mic clipping is desirable. I could sample other, more interesting, sound clips... but that removes a little bit of the honesty of the natural sound. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

The more I watch it, the more convinced I am that it is an unfinished piece. So, another edit is in order. To be honest, it started out as a web trailer for a DVD that I'm making for my race team. As you can see from the begining I gave up on that pretty quickly and just slapped some things together. I don't know if it bothers anyone else that the "coming soon" bit is completely unresolved. It'll be a good excuse to use a few other shots that I didn't have time for in this one.

Anyone have any specifc songs that I could work in with my natural and unnatural audio for more impact and energy?

Thanks for the input,
Kevin

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
hal0n said:
As far as the natural sound.. Most of the camera setup was out of my control. I suggested angles and how to secure the camera. And as a result not much attention was given to the audio. So, all of those visually appealing shots have almost no useable audio. unless wind noise and mic clipping is desirable. I could sample other, more interesting, sound clips... but that removes a little bit of the honesty of the natural sound. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I wouldn't be overly concerned. All IMAX movies are filmed without live sound. It's all added later.

Revlimit Punk

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
Italy
hal0n said:
Anyone have any specifc songs that I could work in with my natural and unnatural audio for more impact and energy?

It is a bit over exploited these days (tv ads, tv shows, etc), but "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" by Jet is definitely gonna kick some ass.

EDIT:
also great for the content of your video:
"Velocity Shift" by Overseer
"Basstrap" by Overseer
"The Rockafeller Skank" by Fatboy Slim

That stuff should kick ass in such a video

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.