Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
I finally got full Radeon 7000 2D, 3D, and QuickTime acceleration working under Mac OS 7.6.1 (with some tweaks)! I created a custom installer just for Mac OS 7 if anybody is interested in trying this:

http://www.system7today.com/

Thought I'd let everybody know.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
yeah thats neat! I think system 7 is cool, but I like system 7.6 the best.. the apple system profiler and the improved graphics made it look great..

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Yeah, he says on his site that 7.6 is the one that he is using... plus, a domain name as system7dotsix wouldn't be that good, would it?

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
lilstewart said:
Yeah, he says on his site that 7.6 is the one that he is using... plus, a domain name as system7dotsix wouldn't be that good, would it?

In hindsight, I wish my site was Mac OS 7 Today... I even registered the domain macos7.com. I actually forgot about that until just now. Mac OS 7.6.1 is the version I focus on at my site, since thats the most stable version by far, plus the only version that will run things such as Internet Explorer 5.

But I just unveiled that new site design this week, and have to focus on taking all the content from the old site and putting it on the new one.

BTW the Radeon really tears Mac OS 7 apart. It's sooo fast, even on a stock 8600/200.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Yeah... games like Tomb Raider, Future Cop, Nanosaur and Bugdom run great with it. So long as a game uses QuickDraw 3D, and runs in thousands or millions of colors (unlike Quake, which forces 256), they get full acceleration under Mac OS 7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.